From Mandalay: Full Day Excursion To Monywa
When in Mandalay, it is very worthwhile to take a visit to Monywa, which lies on the banks of the Chindwin River and northwest of Mandalay. Marvel at the architecture of the amazing Thanbuddhay Pagoda and Cave Temple at Pho Win Taung.
• Excursions to the cave temples of Pho Win Taung which is famous for their Buddha statues, mural paintings and woodcarvings.
• Visit to Thanbuddhay Pagoda, another highly important attraction completed in 1951 after 12 years of construction with over 800 small Buddha Stupas on and around the pagoda. There are also reportedly 582, 357 Buddha statues on the ceiling, walls, archways and the niches in an on the temple compound.
• There are also reportedly 582, 357 Buddha statues on the ceiling, walls, archways and the niches in an on the temple compound.
per adult from
What's included :
- Private sightseeing with an English speaking guide & air-conditioned vehicle
- Lunch at local restaurant,
- Pick-up and drop off from/to your Hotel in Mandalay
- Snow towel & 1 Bottle of purified drinking water
- Entry/Admission - Phowintaung
- Entry/Admission - Thanboddhay Paya
- Entry/Admission - Bodhi Tataung
- Entry/Admission - Laykyun Sekkya Buddha
What's excluded :
- Hotel accommodation & Entrance fee in Mandalay,
- Meals not specified in the description,
- Air Tickets to/from Mandalay,
- Tips for your guide and driver, Camera Fee, Personal expenses, Travel insurance
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Phowintaung, Village Minzu, Monywa Myanmar
In the early morning approximately 07:00 A.M., our guide will pick you up at your hotel in Mandalay, and then drive to Monywa (150 km – approx. 2 hours). Arrive Monywa and continue to visit a sandstone cave system in the Pho Win Hills, named after a famous 'zawgyi' (alchemist) who once lived here. The Caves of Pho Win Taung, numbering more than one hundred, are full of Buddhist statues and murals. Most exhibit the Innwa style but some may date from the 14th Century. Nearby, visit Shwe Ba Taung which features unique pavilions cut from the surrounding sandstone and filled with Buddha images.
Lunch will be served at a local restaurant.
Duration: 6 hours
Stop At: Thanboddhay Paya, Monywa Myanmar
Then visit Moenyin Thanboddhay Pagoda, which is about 20 Kilometers from Monywa. The richly decorated central stupa has no less than 845 smaller stupas around it. Inside the patio, you will see thousands of Buddha images (reportedly over 500,000) decorating every wall, archway and niche. The buildings in the compound have interesting jataka relieves and there is a huge Reclining Buddha (Shwe Thar Lyaung Pagoda) nearby.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Bodhi Tataung, Route de Mandalay, Monywa Myanmar
Following sights includes: Aungset Kya Pagoda, Bodhitahtaung Pagoda, where you will see 1000 Bo trees with sitting Buddha images.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Laykyun Sekkya Buddha, Village of Khatakan Taung, Monywa Myanmar
Visit Laykyun Sakkya Yattawmu Pagoda, famous as the world’s tallest standing Buddha image and after that drive back to your hotel in Mandalay.
Duration: 45 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Pick-up from your hotel in Mandalay. Please advise your hotel's name.Drop-off at your hotel in Mandalay.
Departure Time :7:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- As you will be visiting religious sites, please wear clothes that cover your shoulders and knees, and remember to take off your shoes and socks when entering pagoda areas.
- This tour is not available during the Water Festival period between 12 to 18 Apr. During this time, everything in town is closed: restaurants, shops, markets, Museum, etc. Driving through Yangon is extremely difficult if not impossible because people celebrate the famous water-festival. You cannot avoid of getting very wet because everyone throws water at everybody. People drive through the city in open cars and there are stages along the street where people throw water. Everybody going up will get very wet.
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.