First Time Siena Medieval Tuscany Private Half Day Tour
This is the perfect half day walking tour for first time travelers to Siena who would like to get a great introduction to this Medieval town with a fun and friendly Tuscan local! I am a professional tour guide with twenty years of experience showing travelers the beauty of Tuscany and introducing people of all ages (couples, families, groups) to the history and culture of Italy. My background is in foreign languages, art history and history, but I am also passionate about wine, food, culture, and above all sharing my region with visitors from around the world. This totally private tour can be fully customized to fit your needs and level of knowledge, please feel free to send me any information about you and your group before arrival.
per adult from
What's included :
- Certified guide
What's excluded :
- Entrance fees to museums and churches are not included and can be paid directly onsite.
- Entry/Admission - Torre del Mangia
- Entry/Admission - Duomo di Siena
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Piazza del Campo, 53100, Siena Italy
From here we can visit some of Siena’s beautiful public fountains, while I explain the incredible aqueducts that run underneath the city even today. The most important fountain is Fonte Gaia, a monumental fountain located in the Piazza del Campo, which is actually a replica as the original panels are housed in the Santa Maria della Scala museum. The famous Piazza del Campo is a shell shaped square at the heart of Siena with its soaring Torre del Mangia tower and the buildings of the City Hall which also include a museum with an entire room filled with Lorenzetti’s Allegory of Good and Bad Government frescoes. Each year the square is packed with dirt and transformed for the Palio horserace which is run twice a year on July 2nd and August 16th with 10 of the 17 contrada neighborhoods competing.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Torre del Mangia, Piazza del Campo 1, 53100, Siena Italy
I will explain about the fascinating Torre del Mangia, but we won't climb up to the very top unless you let me know ahead of time as there are lots of steps!
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Duomo di Siena, Piazza del Duomo 8, 53100, Siena Italy
Next I will take you through the ancient streets to the Duomo, the main Cathedral of Siena, one of the finest Gothic cathedrals in all of Italy with unforgettable frescoes in the Piccolomini Library and special tiled floors that are periodically uncovered for viewing. Please note that entrance to the Duomo and various museums and buildings surrounding it is not included and you can pay directly once you choose which you would like to visit.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Palazzo Tolomei, Piazza Tolomei 11, 53100, Siena Italy
This is the building with the oldest original facade in Siena.
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: Piazza Salimbeni, 53100, Siena Italy
Learn about the oldest bank in Europe that is still operating - Monte dei Paschi di Siena, that has brought riches to Siena and the province for hundreds of years.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Basilica Cateriniana Di S. Domenico, Piazza San Domenico, 53100, Siena Italy
Together we will visit the Basilica di San Domenico, a stunning church perched on top of one of the three hills of Siena, at the entrance to the historic city center across from the soccer stadium and fortress. Siena is still protected by medieval walls with impressive doors, but boasts an origin even older than this. We will begin with a visit inside San Domenico where you can see the holy relics of St. Catherine, one of the Patron Saints of Italy and the person said to be responsible for returning the Papacy from Avignon to Rome.
Duration: 20 minutes
Departure Point :Antica Farmacia del Campo, Il Campo, 26, 53100 Siena SI, Italy
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 1/12/2020 - 11/2/2021
Monday - Sunday: 08:00 AM - 06:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- All our tours are totally private, ensuring your safety. Headsets are supplied to ensure being able to hear clearly with social distancing protocols in place.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.