Explore Two Amazing Active Volcanoes With a Local
We will visit two of the most impressive active volcanoes in Costa Rica and the most historical city of Costa Rica on a full day of adventure and excitement experience in an authentic local way.
per adult from
8 to 10 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- We will take you nice photos on the best spots.
- Bottled water
What's excluded :
- Breakfast - We pretty recommend you to have a good breakfast before the departure otherwise we can stop for some fruits or snacks but we will no able to stop for a complete breakfast.
- Guide tip
- Lunch - Traveling With a Local is an unique and flexibility experience, we prefer to give you the freedom of what to eat, we will take time for lunch together and recommend some places in base of your wishes.
- Entrance Tickets (Irazu and Turrialba Volcanoes Entrance Tickets around $20 per person))
- Entry/Admission - Irazu Volcano National Park
- Entry/Admission - Turrialba Volcano
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Ruinas Sanatorio Carlos Duran, A 7 km al norte de la ciudad de Cartago y a unos 18 kilometros al sureste del Volcan Irazu, a una altitud de poco mas de 2,335 msnm., Cartago Costa Rica
We will stop in a viewpoint to see the Sanatorio Duran Ruins.
Sitting in a beautiful area of the Cartago mountainside is the mysterious Finca Sanatorio Duran. Many people who visit Irazu Volcano drive right past it thinking it’s another abandoned farm when in reality, it was an important hospital back in the 1910’s – 1920’s for tuberculosis patients.
Since the hospital closed in the 1960’s, it has decayed and now lays abandoned. Only in recent years was it turned into a tourist attraction for those curious and brave enough to venture into this place called the most haunted building in Costa Rica.
Stop At: Irazu Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
During the journey of approximately one hour we will observe beautiful natural landscapes and agricultural fields on the slopes of these brother volcanoes, to go to our first destination, the highest volcano in Costa Rica, the Irazú Volcano.
After observing the main crater and walking around the different craters of this volcano surrounded by an amazing lunar landscape we will go to the restless Turrialba Volcano where we will observe his volcanic cone with its characteristic activity of gases and ash.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Turrialba Volcano, Cartago Costa Rica
Once in the Turrialba Volcano we will venture to walk through the impact zone of the 2014 and 2016 eruptions where we will be able to appreciate the destruction that these eruptions left as well as the changes in the vegetation and the affectation to the life of the local people.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Santuario Nacional Nuestra Senora de Los Angeles, Calle 1, Cartago Costa Rica
We will visit the Basilica, it was constructed in honor of the apparition of the Virgin of the Angeles in 1635 who is the patron saint of Costa Rica. The stone statue is located in this church. The first building (chapel) was erected in 1639 and was later expanded, rebuilt and renovated.
The current building is in Byzantine style and was constructed between 1912 and 1930 and designed by the architect Luis Llach. The facades were designed by the engineer Fabio Garnier. It was declared a historic architectural heritage site of Costa Rica in 1999. Our Lady of the Angels Basilica is a first-rate National Sanctuary. Hundreds of thousands of Costa Ricans make the pilgrimage to this site to profess their faith. It is one of the most important religious events in Costa Rica.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Ruinas de Cartago, East of the Plaza Mayor of the city, Cartago Costa Rica
We will visit the Cartago Church Ruins, built in 1575, Las Ruinas de la Parroquia's outer walls only remain today after being destroyed by two earthquakes, but the unique architecture and intricate design is still worth a visit. This isn't the only area of ruins that are worth a peek. Las Ruins of Cartago has a deep-rooted past that began with two brothers who were fighting over the same woman. After one brother killed the other one night, he decided to build a church on the site. Each time it was constructed, an earthquake destroyed it. After devastation in 1910, the ruins were left as they were, and it remains as the town square today.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We pick you up in your hotel or hostel, I will set in advance the pick up time at your place, it could be any Hotel or Hostel in San Jose, Heredia, Alajuela or Cartago metropolitan areas.
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 7/27/2019 - 11/4/2021
Monday - Sunday: 08:00 AM - 06:00 PM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 5 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.