Explore the Pit of Fire in Leilani Estates & Fissure 8 (Hawaii)
Visit the destruction of the 2018 lava flow that destroyed parts of the quiet community of Leilani. Witness as survivors tell of their most intimate stories of losing their homes and for many, the loss of their livelihoods. Leilani Estates is 100% open to only two tours. Our company is certified so we do not trespass on the homeowners' property. You will see personal pictures and stories about this significant event.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Bottled water
What's excluded :
- Alcoholic Beverages - No Alochol
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Leilani Estates, HI 96778, USA
Come and see the newest lava flow in Hawaii. These are the remains of the eruption that ravaged the neighborhood known as Leilani Estates. On May 3, 2018, Kilauea erupted on the Big Island of Hawaii and tore through the district of Puna. As the lava erupted from multiple fissures over the course of 3 months, more than 600 homes were destroyed. See some of the homes that were partially destroyed and be able to get close to several fissures, including fissure 8, which was the largest. We will even walk inside one of the fissures. We will see the majority of the neighborhood, and get to talk to several homeowners about their experience. They will share stories and show before-and-after photos. This tour will include some walking/hiking over rocky terrain and may not be suitable for everyone. Kids under eight are not allowed on tour, and it may prove difficult for the elderly and those with certain health issues.
What to wear: Closed-toe shoes are an absolute must. You cannot come on this tour without them. We will be walking over hazardous terrain and entering several areas that are very, very hot. Make sure you are wearing full-length bottoms, no shorts or dresses, as the steam can be very hot inside the fissures.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Pahoa, Pahoa, Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
Lunch is included in this tour, as well as transportation to and from the tour.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We pick you up from your hotel or port. We can pick up from Airbnb and residential just let us know beforehand. (Additional rates may apply.)Airports
- Hilo Intl Airport, 2450 Kekuanaoa St, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720
- Hilo Port
Departure Time :9/19/2019 - 10/21/2021
9/19/2019 - 10/21/2021
Monday: 08:00 AM - 05:00 PM Tuesday: 08:00 AM - 05:00 PM Wednesday: 08:00 AM - 05:00 PM Thursday: 08:00 AM - 05:00 PM Friday: 08:00 AM - 05:00 PM Saturday: 08:00 AM - 05:00 PM Sunday: 08:00 AM - 10:30 AM Monday: 08:00 AM - 05:00 PM Tuesday: 08:00 AM - 05:00 PM Wednesday: 08:00 AM - 05:00 PM Thursday: 08:00 AM - 05:00 PM Friday: 08:00 AM - 05:00 PM Saturday: 08:00 AM - 05:00 PM Sunday: 08:00 AM - 10:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.