Excursion To Karkala And Moodabidri From Mangalore
Karkala and Moodabidri, are two sleepy towns situated around an hour’s drive from Mangalore in the South Indian state of Karnataka. Between the 14th and 16th centuries, this area became a great center of learning and pilgrimage for members of the Jain faith.
In Karkala the giant statue of Lord Bahubali attracts Jain pilgrims from far and wide. In Moodabidri visit the famous 1000-pillared Jain Temple dedicated to Chandranatha. This is the largest Jain temple in coastal Karnataka with richly carved pillars and no two pillars in this temple are alike. End your trip with a visit to the local bazaar and a spice plantation in Moodabidri.
• 40 feet tall statue of Lord Bahubali, Karkala
• 1000-pillared Jain Temple, Moodabidri
• 50 feet high, free-standing monolithic pillar
• Spice plantation
per adult from
5 to 6 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Transport by private air-conditioned vehicle
- Hotel pick-up & drop-off
- Local English speaking guide
- 02 bottles of mineral water per person
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Karkala Gomateshwara Statue, Karkala 574104 India
You will be picked up from your hotel in Mangalore and driven to Karkala which is located at an hour’s drive from Mangalore.
Visit the giant monolithic statue of Lord Bahubali that was erected in 1432. Bahubali (One with strong arms) is a much revered God of the Jains. He is said to have meditated standing for a year and thereafter attained liberation from the cycle of death and rebirth.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Moodabidri, Moodabidri, Dakshina Kannada District, Karnataka
Next drive to Moodabidri, a 30-minute drive from Karkala. It is one of the major centers of Jainism in India and is often referred to as Jain Kashi. A large 8 feet idol of Lord Chandranatha Swami stands in the sanctum of the temple. It took 31 years to complete the temple.
After the temple visit a local bazaar in Moodabidri, which has visitors from the surrounding areas buying fruits, vegetables, spices, clothes, food items and other items of daily use. It is a nice way to see daily life in this part of the country.
Your next stop will be at a fruit and spice plantation. You can walk through the plantation and learn about the various spices, fruits and other products grown here. You can also taste their famous pineapples if you wish. The farm also offers spices for sale if you would like to buy some (own expense).
At the end of the visit take lunch (own expense) at a local restaurant near Moodabidri.
After lunch you will be driven back to Mangalore and dropped off at your hotel.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Bengaluru, Bengaluru, Bangalore District, Karnataka
Traveler pickup is offered
We may pick up travelers from city center hotels / fixed point wiithin city limits. In case pick up is outside central points extra cost shall applicable subject to distance applicable.Airports
- Mangalore International Airport, Bajpe Main Rd, Kenjar HC, Karnataka 574142, India
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers.
- A moderate amount of walking is involved.
- Not recommended for pregnant women and people with heart problems or other serious medical conditions.
- Dress code is smart casual.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.