Exclusive Rome Undergrounds| San Clemente Basilica Private Tour | VIP Entrance
A 2.5-hour tour for those who want to experience the treasures of Rome off the beaten path. You will be introduced to art and architecture from antiquity through the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. With your professional art historian guide, visit San Clemente underground, San Pietro in Vincoli church, and Ludus Magnus. This Exclusive Private Tour will brings you into the depths of history and you can maximise your time enjoying awesome experience. Tour for family with kids, groups of friends and couples.
per adult from
2 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Skip the Line entrance ticket and reservation fee to the Basilica of San Clemente
- Officially licensed and archaeologists/art historian English-speaking guide
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Entry/Admission - Ludus Magnus
- Entry/Admission - Basilica of San Clemente
What's excluded :
- Food & Drink unless specified
- Trasportation from/to the attraction
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Piazza di San Pietro in Vincoli 4/a, 00184 Rome Italy
Begin your journey near the Colosseum and take a pleasant walk through the surrounding neighborhood. In a delightful little piazza off Via Cavour, you will find the church of San Pietro in Vincoli (St. Peter in Chains). The church houses an important relic, the two sets of chains that bound St. Peter when he was imprisoned in Jerusalem and Rome. The highlight of this church is undoubtedly Michelangelo’s statue of Moses, an unfinished masterpiece by the Renaissance genius that was originally intended to be part of the tomb of Pope Julius II. The original plans included an enormous funeral monument with 47 statues, but it was never completed due to Michelangelo's other commissions.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Ludus Magnus, Piazza del Colosseo Via Labicana, Rome Italy
Leaving San Pietro in Vincoli, continue to see the ruins of the Ludus Magnus, an ancient gladiator training school located on the northeast side of the Colosseum. The visit includes the entrance into the most important gladiator gym, the Ludus Magnus, built by the emperor Domitian at the end of the 1st century. A.D. The building, entirely in brick, consisted of a rectangular building, probably on three floors, with a large porticoed courtyard in the center. Around the courtyard there were a series of rectangular rooms destined to house the gladiators. The characterizing element is constituted by the presence, in the courtyard of the building, of a miniature amphitheater, intended for training gladiators. After about half an hour, we will proceed towards San Clemente.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Basilica of San Clemente, Via Labicana 95, 00184 Rome Italy
Your last stop is the Basilica of San Clemente al Laterano along Via San Giovanni. This 12th-century basilica is a great example of architectural chronology: the structure is a three-level building complex, with each level corresponding to a major era of Roman history. Remains under the present basilica suggest that the foundation was part of a republican-era villa. In the 4th century, this was converted into a Christian church dedicated to Pope St. Clemet, the third Pope after St. Peter. The present Medieval basilica was built in 1100.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Departure Point :Via della Polveriera, 8, 00184 Roma RM, Italy
Return Detail :Piazza di San Clemente, Piazza di S. Clemente, 00184 Roma RM, Italy
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- • A dress code is required to enter all the churches: knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women.
- The dress code is strictly enforced and you will be refused entry if you fail to comply with requirements.
- • A moderate amount of walking is involved; comfortable walking shoes recommended
- PETS ARE NOT ALLOWED
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.