Elmina Castle and Cape Coast Castle from Accra In One Day
Engage one of the darkest period of human history as revealed within the walls and dark dungeons of the largest slave castles in the world. Take the 2 hours 30 minutes scenic ride from Accra along the palm front beach of the Atlantic Ocean with commentary from our tour guide showing you the history, culture and the significance of the towns and villages en route. Visit the two UNESCO World Heritage Castles at Elmina and Cape Coast to unravel the sordid stories of the infamous Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade behind those two castles. Discover what the former first family of USA, the Obamas discovered at the Cape Coast Castle.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Fuel surcharge
- Local guide
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by private vehicle
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- 06:00HRS - Depart Accra for a two and a half hour drive to the Central Region.
09:00 HRS - Take a tour of the Elmina township to visit historic sites culminating at the famous Ft. St. Georges Castle which was built by the Portuguese from 1482. Standing for over 530years, this UNESCO World Heritage site is the oldest European building in sub-Sahara Africa. It is also one of the largest slave forts in the world as it became a cell holding up several enslaved Africans who were shipped across the Atlantic Ocean to the New World.
11:30 HRS - Continue with a visit to the Cape Coast Castle. This used to be a Swedish lodge prior to its seizure by the English and expansion from 1665. Take the tour of the Smithsonian mounted museum and the rest of dungeon which exited at "the door of no return". Two slave bones exhumed from Jamaica and the USA were returned through this door and interned an hour away at Assin Manso. This changed the name from the "the door of no return" to "the door of return". Discover the plaque mounted and commissioned by the 44th President of the USA Barack Obama and his wife Michelle Obama on their visit to Ghana in 2009.
13:30HRS - Lunch (at clients’ expense)
14:45HRS - Return to Accra to end the tour.
Departure Point :From your hotel
Departure Time :6:00 AM
Return Detail :Your hotel
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Dress code is smart casual
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.