Discover Salerno - walking tour learning history and anecdotes with a local -
Join us on a walking tour in the historical center of Salerno.
Salernum was founded by the Romans in the 2nd century B. C. but the most important period for the city was in the middle ages.
After the destruction of the Roman Empire in Italy the Lombards created a dukedom in Campania and Salerno became its capital.
In this time Salerno was one of the most important cities of the Mediterrenean sea, Here was founded the first Medical School around the end of the 9th century A. D.
We will go to discover the history and the architecture of the medieval time with a visit into the Cathedral of Saint Matthew, a spectacular example of Arab-Norman architecture. This church also contains a beautiful crypt in Baroque style.
per adult from
What's included :
- Licensed local guide
What's excluded :
- offer for visiting the Crypt
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Salerno, Salerno, Amalfi Coast, Province of Salerno, Campania
In this tour we will see the historic center of Salerno.
We will visit the public gardens, the most important squares of the historical center (Piazza Sedile del Campo, Piazza Abate Conforti, Piazza Flavio Gioia), the Lombard and Norman buidings, the Monumental complex of Saint Peter, the Saint Matthew Cathedral and its baroque crypt.
On request you can visit the gardens of Minerva, the medieval castle, the Diocesan Museum and the Archaeological Museum
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Piazza Matteo Luciani, 1, 84121 Salerno SA, Italy
Departure Time :5:30 AM
Return Detail :Piazza Flavio Gioia, Salerno SA, Italy
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 12 hours of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.