Dharavi Tour - Mumbai's Largest Slum Area
Known to many as 'one of the largest slums in Asia', we prefer to think of Dharavi as Mumbai’s beating heart. It houses about one million of Mumbai’s inhabitants and its industries have an annual turnover of approximately US$ 665 million.
In this walking tour, you will experience a wide range of these business activities: recycling, pottery-making, embroidery, bakery, soap factory, leather tanning, poppadom-making and many more. You’ll also visit the residential areas of Dharavi.
People from all over India have come to live in Dharavi, making it a microcosm of India. This diversity is apparent in the temples, mosques, churches and pagodas that stand side by side. Discover a side of Dharavi beyond its ignominious distinction of being known as the largest slum in Asia.
Time: 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM
per adult from
What's included :
- Great conversations and interesting stories
- Access to hidden lanes and places.
- Great local tips and recommendations to save money and to explore the best of the city.
- Highly trained and friendly Storyteller/ Guide who can speak English & Hindi
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Dharavi, Mumbai India
An astonishing 60% of Mumbai’s population lives in slums, and a majority of them live in Dharavi.
Asia's largest slum area, Dharavi is the perfect example of how diverse the country is. People from all religions, caste, creed and colour live together to make the ends meet. Its a rather emotional feeling to visit Dharavi, experience the diversity, and understand the people.
Up close, life in the slums is fascinating to witness. Residents pay rent, most houses have kitchens and electricity, and building materials range from flimsy corrugated-iron shacks to permanent multistorey concrete structures.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Mahim Junction, Shammi Nagar, Mahim, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400016, India
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- Children below 5 years of age are allowed for free
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.