Day Trip to Dion and Mountain Olympus from Thessaloniki
Excursion back in history, the culture and the traditional heritage looking upon the Mythical Mountain of the 12 Gods of Olympus!
The ancient cultural heritage of the ancient city of Dion is combined with the traditional beauty of the foothills of the Mythical Mount Olympus. We visit the museum and the archaeological site of Dion and we enjoy our lunch in one of the various traditional greek restaurants of the village. Afterwards, we leave for Olympus, the mountain of the 12 gods where we start trekking for about 20’ the path to the Enipeas gorge, an entirely picturesque landscape.
per adult from
What's included :
- Pick up and drop-off from main locations in Thessaloniki
- Bus transportation to all locations
- English-speaking trip attendant
- Basic travel insurance (during transportation)
What's excluded :
- Entrance fee to the Archaeological site of Dion (8€ during Summer season - 4€ during Winter season)
- The guided tour at the archaeological site and the Museum of Dion
- We depart to Dion with the bus of Ammon Express at 08:00 from the White Tower.
The route is 90km and it takes about 1 hour.
We reach the archaeological park of Dion where you have 1 hour and a half to walk around the exterior archaeological site, enjoying a walk back in history. You have the chance to admire the ancient theater of Dion, known for hosting the plays of the ancient philosopher Euripides, for example the The Bacchae, while nowadays hosts every year the Olympus Festival. Afterwards, we visit the unique museum of Dion, where there are based all the findings and statues of the ancient city and later on we admire the magnificent mosaic of the “House of Dionysus” which lies in a chamber next to the museum (open to the public from March-November).
We enjoy our lunch in one of the traditional restaurants of the village and later we continue our trip to Olympus, the house of the 12 Gods, known worldwide for its mythological background. We start a short trekking for 20’ on the foothills of the mountain following the Enipeas gorge. This is a beautiful shady path into the nature, accessible by everyone, where you can admire the wild nature and the river where at the end of it we stop to capture the view of the astonishing mountain (if the weather permits us).
We depart to Thessaloniki at around 15:30p.m, where we return after one hour (16:30p.m) making the same stops from where we started.
*Please be informed that there is the possibility of modifying the schedule of the excursion and adjust it on the current weather conditions. In chance of non favorable weather conditions (mostly during winter season) the short trekking may not be included.
In this chance, it is replaced either by visiting the picturesque village of Litochoro (walk in the main traditional square) or by visiting the Holy Monastery of Saint Dionysus (visit to the old and the new one).
Departure Point :1: White Tower of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki 546 21, Greece
2: Makedonia Palace Hotel, Leof. Meg. Alexandrou 2, Thessaloniki 546 40, Greece
3: Statue of Eleftherios Venizelos, Egnatia 78, Thessaloniki 546 24, Greece
4: Capsis Hotel Thessaloniki, Monastiriou 16, Thessaloniki 546 29, Greece
5: The Met Hotel, 26is Oktovriou 48, Thessaloniki 546 27, Greece
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- The meeting points are as follows, White Tower Entrance at 8:00 AM, Makedonia Palace Hotel at 8:05 AM, Aristotle's Square and Egnatia Street (Venizelos Statue) at 8:15 AM, Capsis Hotel at 8:20 AM, and The Met Hotel at 8:25 AM
- The hiking that leads to the cave of Saint Dionysius takes about 20 minutes and requires comfortable walking shoes
- Please be informed that there is the possibility of modifying the schedule of the excursion and adjust it on the current weather conditions. In chance of non favorable weather conditions (mostly during winter season) the short trekking may not be included. In this chance, it is replaced either by visiting the picturesque village of Litochoro (walk in the main traditional square) or by visiting the Holy Monastery of Saint Dionysus (visit to the old and the new one)
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 19 travelers
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.