Cycling in Jaffna City
(SKU: LK77200100) This four-hour tour takes you to see the ancient and thriving city of Jaffna. See the many remnants from the Jaffna Kingdom, the throne of the ancient Tamil Kings of Sri Lanka. Visit famous temples, churches and other places of cultural importance. Cycle through the busy streets of Jaffna Market with their many delicious fruits, food items, and handicrafts. Stop by the most famous local ice-cream parlor for a quick snack. Many other exciting discoveries and new sights await!
per adult from
3 hours 45 minutes
What's included :
- Service of an Knowledgeable English-speaking local guide.
- Bottle of water and a king coconut drink along the way.
- Bicycles and helmets (if requested for safety) provided.
- Photography session.
- All Taxes & Service Charges.
What's excluded :
- Expenses of Personal Nature.
- Gratuities (Optional).
- Entrance fees where not specify.
- Entry/Admission - Jaffna Fort
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Jaffna Fort, Jaffna Sri Lanka
You will be starting your tour at 3:00 pm from the Gangaa & Brothers Guesthouse down at Hospital Road, Jaffna. Your guide will pick you up and provide you with your cycling equipment and a bottle of water each.
You will start off with a tour of the old Jaffna Fort, a 17th-century monument built by the Portuguese during their invasion of Sri Lanka. The 400-year-old ruins remain complete with a moat, ramparts and prison chambers; and was the largest military fort that was built in the country.
Next on the list will be the Jaffna Library. Once the largest and most extensive library of Asia, it was burnt down by Sinhalese extremists during the Sri Lankan Civil War in 1981. Today, the library has been rebuilt and strives mightily to reach its former glory, as it continues to expand its collection.
You will also visit two beautiful urban parks in Jaffna: Supramaniyam Park and Old Park. They also have extensive children’s play areas for those younger in age and heart. In particular, Old Park was once the location of the Old British Governor's residence, and the ruins can still be seen. You will stop along the way for some king coconut.
Your cycling route will pass through some coastal villages, and you can get to know the life of local fishermen. You will visit the famous historic Nallur temple, with its beautiful and colorful paintings and sculptures. The millennia-old temple has a long history that you will get to know. After viewing the temple, you will cycle to Rio Ice Cream Parlor, which is right around the corner. As the most famous locally made ice cream in Jaffna, you will get the opportunity to purchase and flavor the delicious creamy sweetness that is Rio's trademark.
After this you will be cycling to St James Church, followed by a visit to St Mary’s Cathedral. You will get to know the long history of these important locations. There will also be nuns who will be selling top quality Jaffna Wine and Nelli Cordial - renowned local specialties. You can purchase some if you are interested. There will also be some palmyra products made by local ladies for sale.
Finally, your route will take you to a small Buddhist stupa, past the statue of Changkili - the last king of the Jaffna Kingdom, the Entrance Arch of the former Jaffna Royal Palace, the haunting ruins of the old house of the last king’s Minister. Along the way back to your start point, you will bet stopping at a viewpoint to watch the sunset and take some photographs (given that it is a clear day). Your tour will be completed by 6:45 back at the guesthouse.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Hospital Road, Hospital Rd, Jaffna, Sri Lanka
Departure Time :3:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.