Cultural visit of Chennai
Explore the traditional side of Chennai’s rich culture on this half-day tour. Start the tour with a visit to the Kalakshetra Foundation. Walk through the sprawling grounds of their campus and get an insight into the history of the traditional art and dance forms of India’s southern state of Tamil Nadu. Next visit the beautiful Kapaleeswarar Temple that is dedicated to the Hindu God Shiva. Spend some time in the boutiques of Chennai looking at the colorful silk sarees and artifacts on display.
• Kapaleeshwarar temple
• Silk sarees and artifacts
per adult from
What's included :
- Transport by private air-conditioned vehicle
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- English speaking local Guide
- 02 bottles of mineral water per person.
- Entry/Admission - Kalakshetra Dance School
What's excluded :
- Additional food or drink (unless specified)
- Items of a personal nature
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Kalakshetra Dance School, Thiruvanmiyur, Chennai (Madras) India
You will be picked up from your hotel in the morning and driven to Kalakshetra Academy. It is a Foundation that was established in 1936 for the preservation of traditional values in Indian arts and crafts. It is renowned for its Dance Academy that helps to preserve the classical dance form of Bharatnatyam. The Academy is located in a sprawling 100 acres campus by the seaside.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Mylapore, Chennai (Madras) India
Next drive to Mylapore, the most traditional neighbourhood of Chennai that is considered to be its cultural hub. Visit Kapaleeswarar temple. The temple is dedicated to the Hindu God Shiva. It is built in the traditional Dravidian style with a brightly coloured gopuram (top of the temple), several pillared pavilions and a large water tank. Legend has it that an angry Lord Shiva once turned his consort Parvati into a peacock. Parvati worshipped Shiva at a spot located within this temple to regain her normal form. The name Mylapore means ‘the town of peacocks’.
After the beautiful Kapaleeswarar temple spend some time looking at fine silk sarees and ancient artifacts in the boutiques of Chennai. The rich silks and colorful designs are a shopper’s delight.
At the end of the tour you will be driven back to your hotel.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Chennai (Madras), Chennai (Madras), Chennai District, Tamil Nadu
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children below 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Not recommended for pregnant women.
- Not recommended for participants with back problems.
- Consider wearing comfortable clothes and walking shoes.
- Kalakshetra remains closed on weekends and national holidays.
- Kalakshetra visiting hours: 08:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.