Cultural heritage of Pondicherry- day trip from Chennai
On this full-day tour explore the cultural heritage of Pondicherry, which is a unique blend of French and Tamil cultures. Get a glimpse of the spiritual legacy of this former French colony at Sri Aurobindo Ashram, which is dedicated to Sri Aurobindo Ghosh - a philosopher and freedom fighter. Visit Auroville, a unique global village that is home to people from over 50 countries.
• Sri Aurobindo Ashram
• Aurobindo paper factory
• Pondicherry Museum
• Auroville, global village
per adult from
13 to 14 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Private air-conditioned vehicle from Chennai to Pondicherry and back
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Private English speaking local guide
- Breakfast at local restaurant ( beverage excluded)
- 02 bottles of mineral water
- Entry/Admission - Sri Aurobindo Ashram
- Entry/Admission - Pondicherry Museum
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Rue de la Marine, Pondicherry India
You will be picked up from your hotel in Chennai early in the morning from where you will be taken to Pondicherry, a 3-hour drive away. En route, stop for breakfast at a local restaurant.
As you drive into the city, you will notice the strong French influence in the facades of the mediterranean style houses, the local bakeries and the roads and avenues. On your arrival in Pondicherry, visit Sri Aurobindo Ashram. Soak in the ambience of the ashram, which reflects a synthesis of yoga and modern science. Founded in 1926, the Ashram has a community of around 2,000 people who are engaged in voluntary community service. Visit the paper factory there and see how paper is produced from cotton rags and then processed with techniques like silk screen printing and marbling.
Duration: 4 hours
Stop At: Pondicherry Museum, Rue Romain Rolland, Pondicherry 605001 India
Next visit the Pondicherry Museum. The museum has a collection of rare bronze and stone sculptures dating back to the Pallava and Chola dynasties. It also has several artefacts excavated from Arikamedu, an ancient port that had trade links with the Romans.
Enjoy lunch (own expense) at a French - Indian fusion restaurant and savor the flavors unique to this region.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Auroville, Auroville, Viluppuram District, Tamil Nadu
After lunch you will be driven to Auroville. Located at a distance of 7 miles from Pondicherry, Auroville is an experimental township that was founded in 1968 and is today home to people of several nationalities. Auroville, literally translates to the ‘City of Dawn’. People from over 50 nations of the world reside here and the architecture of the township reflects this universality. Follow your guide to Matrimandir, known by locals as ‘Temple of the Mother’, where you will get a close look at its gold-plated dome and lotus-shaped urn that stretches nearly 100 feet. Your guide will give you a deeper understanding of this temple’s significance for practitioners and teachers of Integral Yoga.
At the end of your trip, you will be driven back to Chennai and dropped off at your hotel.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Chennai (Madras), Chennai (Madras), Chennai District, Tamil Nadu
Traveler pickup is offered
We may pick up travelers from city center hotels / fixed point wiithin city limits. In case pick up is outside central points extra cost shall applicable subject to distance applicable.Airports
- Puducherry Airport, Lawspet, Narikurava Colony, Puducherry, 605008, India
Departure Time :6:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children under 15 must be accompanied by an adult
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.