Cullinan Diamond Mine Tour - Underground tour
Come and enjoy with us exclusive underground tours of the working Cullinan Diamond Mine. This mine has produced some of the world's largest high quality gemstones and is the home of the world's largest diamond - the Cullinan (3106 ct). Recently, a number of record braking blue diamonds have been found including a 122.52 carat diamond which achieved a value of US$ 27.6 million in 2014. After visiting the mine, you will get the opportunity to visit the Cullinan Diamond Mine market for an unforgettable diamond and jewellery shopping experience.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Local guide
- Professional guide
- Tour escort/host
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Private tour
- Round-trip private transfer
- Round-trip shared transfer
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Transport by private vehicle
What's excluded :
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Food and drinks
- The Cullinan Diamond Mine is renowned as a source of large, high-quality gem diamonds, including Type II stones, as well as being the world’s most important source of very rare blue diamonds. Cullinan earned its place in history with the discovery of the Cullinan diamond in 1905, the largest rough gem diamond ever found at 3,106 carats, which was cut to form the two most important diamonds in the British Crown Jewels. Many of the world’s most famous diamonds herald from Cullinan, and it continues to produce world-class diamonds under Petra’s stewardship. The Cullinan orebody contains a major diamond resource of 195 Mcts, suggesting a potentially long life for the operation of +50 years.
The Cullinan kimberlite pipe was discovered in 1902 and open pit mining commenced at the ‘Premier’ mine (as it was then known) in 1903. Ore extraction has been by underground mining methods since 1946. Ore extraction has varied between 2 and 5 Mt per annum and ore treatment between 2 and 7 Mt per annum. The mine was renamed ‘Cullinan’ as part of its centenary celebrations and to link the mine to the illustrious heritage of the Cullinan diamond, which provided the two main polished diamonds within the British Crown Jewels (the 530 carat Great Star of Africa and the 317 carat Lesser Star of Africa).
Departure Point :Please advice on departure location
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Please advice on return location
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Minimum drinking age is 18 years
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.