Cruise Ship Special from Burnie to Cradle Mountain
Take a 7-hour day tour from your cruise ship berthed in Burnie to Cradle Mountain, one of Tasmania’s most stunning and iconic wilderness area attractions.
On arrival at Cradle Mountain and Lake St Clair National Park you will get an opportunity to marvel at the stunning scenery including awe inspiring views of the rugged Cradle Mountain as it overlooks the glacial formed Dove Lake.
On the journey back towards Burnie, if time allows, the group will visit some of the beautiful highland towns, such as Sheffield and its world-famous murals, and Railton with its clever topiary. You can also get the opportunity for a brief stop to view Cethana Dam which has an underground power station and is an important contributor to the North West Tasmania’s hydroelectric scheme.
The tour group size will be no more than 20 people and includes an expert guide. The tour length will be adjusted to allow for your cruise ship’s strict arrival and departure times.
per adult from
7 to 8 hours
What's included :
- Chilled bottled water
- Live commentary on board
- Makers Workshop pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan or small bus
- Free WiFi available on bus
- Entry/Admission - Lake St. Clair
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park, Tasmania Australia
Once you alight from your cruise ship at Burnie, you will be transported by free shuttle bus, provided by the ship’s agents, to the Makers Workshop. Here you will meet with our guide and tour bus for your day tour to see Tasmania’s famous and iconic Cradle Mountain, part of the Cradle Mountain and Lake St Clair National Park and right in the heart of the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage area.
On the drive through the National Park to the glacial formed Dove Lake, you will be able to view and experience the majestic Cradle Mountain and catch glimpses of the native wildlife abundant in this area. You will also visit the Waldheim Chalet, the forest home of Austria-born Gustav Weindorfer, a pioneer of the region who in 1912, made a hut and guest chalet by hand with shingles split from King Billy Pine. Here you will learn about Gustav and his wife, their renowned hospitality, colourful lives, and their push to turn Cradle Mountain into a National Park. There is also information on the native Australian wildlife found there including wombats, quolls, potoroos, wallabies and many bird species.
Duration: 5 hours
Stop At: Sheffield, Sheffield, Tasmania
If time allows the group with then head back towards Burnie stopping at Cethana Dame, Sheffield and Railton. The first stop will allow you to view the magnificence of the Cethana Dam, a 110m high concrete face rockfill dam on the Forth River. The dam’s purpose is to divert the combined flow of the Forth, Mersey and Wilmot Rivers to the underground Cethana Power Station built in 1971.
Next in Sheffield you will view the many hand painted murals on the walls throughout the town depicting the area's rich history and natural scenery. The first mural was painted in 1986 and since then over 60 murals have been painted throughout the town. Sheffield is a great place for you to purchase lunch.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Railton, Railton, Tasmania
At Railton, you can see more than 100 imaginative topiary characters at various stages of growth dotted along its streets. Called by many, the ‘Town of Topiary’, visitors can get a copy of a walking guide from the local shops to help guide them.
Duration: 15 minutes
Departure Point :Makers' Workshop, 2 Bass Hwy, Burnie TAS 7320, Australia
Traveler pickup is offered
Departure at 9:00 am unless otherwise advised after receipt of booking.Ports
- Burnie, Tasmania
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 4 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Note to all customers, at time of booking (or prior to pick-up): it is very important to provide a mobile number (incl. area code), if possible.
- Cruise ship passengers to provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Collapsible wheelchairs can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately.
- We are aware that Cruise Ship passengers need to return to their ship in time for departure. We aim to arrive at least 30 to 60 minutes prior to the stipulated time. Customers should confirm this time with their tour guide on the day.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 17 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.