Cradle of Humankind Caves Half Day Tour
A perfect way to spend half a day out in the caves if you have an interest in learning the history of humanity's origins.
We are a team that creates memorable experiences for every group we host. Our start times (airport or hotel pickup time) are flexible based on your travel schedule & the site closing times.
We use luxury air-conditioned sedans and minivans based on group/family size.
Live commentary on the way to and from about the city of Johannesburg is provided so feel free to ask questions on any topic from politics to restaurant recommendations.
Should you wish to be dropped off at a different hotel, apartment or mall, this may be arranged so please inquire before the day of the trip.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Private transportation
- Safety helmet head gear & hand sanitizer is provided on arrival at the Caves.
- Entry/Admission - Sterkfontein Cave
- Entry/Admission - Maropeng Visitor Centre
What's excluded :
- Lunch - No meals are provided on this half day tour. Resturaunts at both sites are available and have a menu with light meals and salads & all major bank cards are accepted at the rest
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Sterkfontein Caves Rd. Kromdraai Road Off the R563, Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site South Africa
Part 1 of the tour starts at The Sterkfontein Caves which are world-famous for their fossil finds and are a popular visitor destination.
After an extensive facelift in 2005, the Sterkfontein Caves site offers easy access to the caves with modern walkways and a boardwalk past the excavation site where globally acclaimed fossils have been discovered.
The most notable discoveries in the caves, including the world-famous fossils of Mrs Ples and Little Foot, the latter being an almost complete Australopithecus skeleton dating back more than three million years.
A guided walk through the caves under 50 minutes will definitely showcase scientific proof of research on humanity and our origins.
This walk will NOT be suitable for individuals who struggle to walk, have breathing problems or claustrophobic.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Maropeng Visitor Centre, R400 off R563 Hekpoort Road Sterkfontein, Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site 1911 South Africa
Part 2 of the tour is a 50-minute (easy) walk through The Maropeng Welcome Centre.
A narrative depicting the journey through time, starting with the formation of the planet and moving through the evolutionary processes that culminated in the world as we know it today.
An incredible opportunity to see fossils, learn about how humankind was born, view stone tools that are up to one million years old.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Use the provided company cellphone number for direct communication on the day of the pickup.Airports
- Johannesburg Intl Airport, Johannesburg South Africa
- Lanseria Airport, Lanseria South Africa
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 3/17/2020 - 12/31/2021
Monday - Sunday: 08:00 AM - 01:00 PM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.