Cities and their People: A Meal With a Local Family Along With a Cooking Demo
This 3-hours of a private tour will give you the experience of a lifetime. You will visit the home of a local South Indian family and experience the making of a traditional Tamil Bhramin Cuisine which is a vegetarian South Indian meal. You will learn about the different spices, their benefits and uses in various dishes. You will be accompanied by a private English speaking guide in a fully air-conditioned vehicle.
per adult from
2 to 3 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Bottled water
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Private transportation
What's excluded :
- Camera Fees
- In this specially curated tour, you will visit a local’s home for a cooking demonstration followed by lunch/dinner featuring a traditional Tamil Brahmin Cuisine (South Indian vegetarian).
The Tamil Brahmin cuisine is based on the concept that food shapes and derives the personality, mood and mind. In a Brahmin household food is always cooked with a great deal of attention to cleanliness and even to the balancing of nutrition, flavour, texture, and variety. All this coupled with the knowledge that the divine must be the first ‘taster’ of the day’s meal.
Different spices play an important role in the dishes. Fenugreek is used as a digestive aid, cumin for its multiple benefits, dried legumes and beans for their protein, pepper for colds and coughs and turmeric as a healer. Every ingredient that is used in the cuisine has a purpose that goes beyond taste and texture.
Rice and dal is usually the staple diet - the food is characterized by dishes cooked on the griddle such as dosas or thin broth like dals called sambar. The cuisine is also known for its heavy use of 'Kari' leaves, tamarind and coconut.
The menu can be customized to meet your diet preferences. Please let us know if you have any food allergies.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Pick up service offered in Guest's Hotel from within Chennai City boundary
Departure Time :11:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.