Chronicles of Delhi's famous Chandni Chowk
During this 3-hour walking tour you will explore not just the bazaars of Chandni Chowk but also get a taste of the cultural landscape of this area. You will be accompanied by a renowned historian as your guide, who will share with you unheard stories of some of the most famous landmarks.
• Colorful bazaars
• Temple, Church, Gurudwara and a Mosque
• Traditional shops
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- English speaking local guide
- 02 bottles of mineral water per person
- Entry/Admission - Gurudwara Sis Ganj Sahib
- Entry/Admission - Delhi Town Hall
What's excluded :
- Camera usage fees in historic sites
- Any kind of food and drinks, unless specified
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Chandni Chowk, Near Red Fort, New Delhi 110006 India
You will be picked up from your hotel in the morning and driven to Chandni Chowk.
Chandni Chowk means Moonlight Square and is the oldest market of Delhi. It dates back to 1638, when the Mughal Emperor Shahjahan moved his capital from Agra to Delhi. His daughter Jahanara developed a square, around which a bustling market developed. Today Chandni Chowk is home to silversmiths, repair shops, clothiers, spicy street food vendors and traditional sweetmeat shops.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Gurudwara Sis Ganj Sahib, Chandni Chowk Rd, New Delhi 110006 India
The tour will start from the Digambar Jain temple that is situated across the Red Fort. Originally built in 1658, it is the oldest Jain temple of Delhi. Behind the main temple building is an avian veterinary hospital. Further on is a Hindu temple, the Gauri Shankar temple. This temple was established a century later and is one of the oldest temples dedicated to the Hindu God Shiva. Continue your walk down the narrow market lanes and soak in the sights, sounds and smells of the colorful bazaars.
Your guide will share with you the history of this converted Catholic Christian.
Visit the Central Baptist Church, one of the oldest churches of Northern India. The religious theme continues as you reach Gurudwara Sheesh Ganj. The Gurudwara was built in 1783 to commemorate the martyrdom of the ninth Sikh Guru, Guru Tegh Bahadur. Guru Tegh Bahadur was beheaded on the orders of the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb for refusing to convert to Islam. Also visit the old Sunehri Masjid Mosque.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Delhi Town Hall, Town Hall Church Mission Marg, New Delhi 110006 India
Another key attraction of Chandni Chowk is Ghantewala, the 225 year old sweets shop of Delhi. It was set up in 1790 when George Washington was the US president, Mozart was performing in Vienna, France was in the grip of the French Revolution, Britain was ruled by King George III and Shah Alam II was the Mughal emperor who ruled Delhi.
As you continue to wind your way through the narrow lanes, you will pass by the historic Town Hall and the havelis of the Urdu poet Ghalib and a wealthy local merchant Chhunnamal.
At the end of the tour, you will be dropped back to your hotel.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :New Delhi, Delhi, India
Traveler pickup is offered
We may pick up travelers from city center hotels / fixed point wiithin city limits. In case pick up is outside central points extra cost shall applicable subject to distance applicable.Airports
- Indira Gandhi Intl Airport, New Delhi, New Delhi 110037 India
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Not recommended for participants with heart complaints, back problems or other serious medical conditions
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.