Chocolate Private Tour In Medellin: A Great Farm Experience
Like our top-ranked coffee tour on TripAdvisor, this private Chocolate Tour is an authentic, personal and safe experience, where you get a chance to observe all the steps required to produce high-quality artisanal chocolate on a traditional non-touristy family farm.
You have the opportunity to connect with nature and pick cacao fruits straight from the trees as well as support the local farmers who make their living growing cacao.
In the tour you participate in every single step to transform cacao fruits into premium quality chocolate. Planting, picking, fermenting, drying, roasting, grinding and more is what you see with us in this tour.
At the end of the process you can add up some organic fresh ingredients grown in the farm to your chocolate. We have sugar cane, ginger, tangerine and more, what's your favorite?
Like in the rest of our tours we take care about everyone's security so you can enjoy this experience in a safe way considering all the bio-security measures.
per adult from
6 to 7 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Snacks - Chocolate and fresh juice
- Air-conditioned vehicle
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Medellin, Medellin, Antioquia Department
The tour starts on your doorstep–we’ll pick you up in our comfortable, private vehicle from wherever you are staying in Medellín.
Then the journey to the farm starts: the driving time is 1 hour on a safe, well-maintained road through beautiful, Andean mountainscapes.
Upon arriving to the cacao farm, you’ll receive a warm welcome in the form of the farmers’ big smiles and a fresh organic mandarin juice.
For the first part of the Chocolate Tour in Medellín farm experience, you will gain insight to the world of chocolate, discussing subjects big and small, including:
The history of chocolate and its production worldwide
How to maintain a healthy plantation
Natural enemies of the cacao fruits and how to control them
After this complete introduction, you’ll almost have enough knowledge to start your own cacao farm!
For the next part of the tour, you’ll learn about the complete process for making artisanal chocolate, while touring the plantation grounds.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Santo Domingo, Antioquia, Colombia
First Step in our Chocolate Tour in Medellin: Picking cacao in the plantation
As you walk through the plantation you’ll see cacao plants in their natural form, as well as other natural local products like mandarin trees, coffee plants, plantain trees and more.
You’ll even get to use tools to pick the cacao from the trees.
Second Step: Fermenting and Drying the cacao seeds
After picking ripe cacao fruits, we’ll head back to the farm for the next step: fermenting.
To ferment the cacao, we need to cut the fruit and extract the seeds. You’ll also get a chance to try the raw chocolate fruit which is deliciously sweet.
Once we’ve opened the fruit, we pour the seeds into wooden containers to ferment for six days.
After fermenting, the cacao then needs to be dried.
To dry the fermented cacao, we either use a green house that we call Marquesina or by just spreading them out on the ground to dry in the sun.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Santo Domingo, Antioquia, Colombia
Depending on the weather, the cacao will dry for 2-4 days.
After drying, the cacao is then ready to be roasted.
Roasting, grinding and packaging the chocolate:
On our farm, we roast the chocolate in a very artisanal way, using a simple pot on a wood fire, that, after stirring it for about 30 minutes, gives it an amazing subtle woody flavor.
After roasting the cacao beans, we remove the husk and manually separate them.
Once the beans are husk-free they are ready to be ground and melted.
At this point, we can add in some natural seeds to give the chocolate different premium flavors.
Natural flavors we might add include: mandarin skin, rice, sugar cane, chia, quinoa, and peanuts.
Have an idea for a new chocolate flavor? We’re always experimenting with new combinations, so let us know and we’ll test it out.
As a result of the friction from the artisanal grinder, the cacao beans melt, leaving us with our final product.
Duration: 1 hour
Pass By: Medellin, Medellin, Antioquia Department
We use superb quality cocoa to produce amazing fresh chocolate that can be made into hot chocolate or chocolate bars.
Fair trade: Take some chocolate with you
Want to take some chocolate home as a gift? Don’t worry, you won’t have any problems with customs taking your fair trade handmade chocolate home with you.
We’ve already given you a detailed description of our Chocolate Tour in Medellín, but there’s more still to learn, and photos don’t do the experience justice. You’ll see for yourself when you join us up in the fresh, clean air of the Andes mountains exploring the process from seed to cup with local farmers.
Ready for the chocolate experience of a lifetime? Just fill out the booking form and take the Chocolate Tour in Medellín with us.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We pick you up at El Poblado, Laureles and Envigado.
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Our partners like restaurants, farms and facility operators are required to follow strict safety guidelines. All our tours are private. We do not mix groups in the same vehicle. After booking with us we will share with you some recommendations to take into consideration before starting the tour.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.