Cavern Tour with make a Blue John necklace Activity
Treak Cliff Cavern is the only place where you can enjoy practical 'hands on' experience of crafting and working with Blue John Stone at its unique source. You spend time with our crafts people who will explain the tools and equipment you will use to help you create your very own necklace.
You have access to skilled people in our on site work shop, doing what they do, using the mineral extracted from the mine you have just visited. This is a very unique opportunity that cannot be experienced anywhere else in the world.
per adult from
3 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Workshop equipment, saws , grinding wheels and polish
- Self-guided audio Cavern Tour (you need your own Smart phone & headphones)
- Raw materials
What's excluded :
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Smart phone and headphones
Take the 60 minute self-guided audio tour of the Cavern to see an Underground Wonderland of rocks, minerals and fossils. Your tour takes in 7 chambers including The Witch's Cave, Aladdin's Cave, Fairyland and the Dream Cave.
Deeper down are the finest stalactites and stalagmites in the Peak District, and your guide will tell you how they formed, along with some geological history of the Cavern. Discover where our drinking water supply comes from, before returning to the outside to take in the lovely view of Castleton and the Hope Valley from the cavern Exit area. Learn more from the information panels about the mining history of this hillside.
Next you go into the work shop where the crafts people will help you select your semi prepared piece of Blue John Stone: they will show you how to rub it with different grades of abrasive paper until ready for the final stage. Then they will supervise while you polish it to a lovely shine, and attach a bail and leather cord. (Sterling silver chains are available to purchase for an additional charge, depending on length, weight, design etc.)
Then you can try your necklace on and adjust the length to fit !!
Departure Point :Treak Cliff Cavern, Castleton, Hope Valley S33 8WP, UK
Departure Time :10:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Walking disabled accessible only
- See our website for accessibility information
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Screens provided around sales tills and display areas
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.