Castles of Connemara tour departing from Galway City. Private guided. Full day.
With pick up included from your hotel, hop on board as we travel west into the scenic region of Connemara, famed for its wild and rugged land and seascapes.
Our first castle visit is to Aughnanure Castle. Built by the O’Flahertys in 1500, this castle is a particularly well-preserved example of an Irish tower house.
Next stop in the quaint village of Oughterard for a short coffee break.
Weaving our way through scenic Connemara, our next castle stop is Kylemore Abbey, founded by English industrialist Mitchell Henry and now a Benedictine monastery. Spend the next few hours exploring this romantic abbey, its victorian walled gardens and Gothic church.
We head to the capital of Connemara, the colourful town of Clifden. En-route (weather permitting) we drive the famous Sky Road.
Travel onto to Ballynahinch Castle and take a short break to explore the castle and estate grounds including the walled garden before enjoying some delicious tea & scones before returning to Galway City.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Pick up and drop off from Galway city hotel
- Guided tour of Connemara in minivan.
- Entrance into Aughnanure Castle.
- Entrance into Kylemore Abbey & Victorian Walled Gardens.
- Tea/coffee and scones at Ballynahinch Castle or Kylemore Abbey.
- Entry/Admission - Aughnanure Castle
- Entry/Admission - Kylemore Abbey & Victorian Walled Garden
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Aughnanure Castle, Oughterard Ireland
Our first castle visit is to Aughnanure Castle. This castle lies in picturesque surroundings close to Lough Corrib and village of Oughterard. Built by the O’Flahertys, one of Connacht's most notable lord families in 1500 and standing on what is a rocky island on the shores of Lough Corrib. This castle is a particularly well-preserved example of an Irish tower house. On this visit you will find the remains of a banqueting hall, a watch tower, an unusual double bawn and bastions and dry harbour. Grace O’Malley, the notorious west of Ireland sea pirate was married to Donal O’Flaherty.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Kylemore Abbey & Victorian Walled Garden, Connemara On the N59 between Clifden and Westport, Kylemore Ireland
Kylemore Abbey, first founded by English industrialist Mitchell Henry as a present to his wife and now a Benedictine monastery. The next few hours are up to you to explore this romantic abbey, its Victorian walled gardens and Gothic church. Choose to treat yourself to refreshments at the onsite café for lunch.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Ballynahinch Castle, Recess, Connemara, Recess, Co. Galway, Ireland
This castle is steeped in history and is connected to one of the 14 tribes of Galway the Martin family. Richard Martin was the founder of the RSPCA. Another Martin was Edward Martin who was very friendly with WB Yeats and Lady Gregory and later went on to establish the Abbey Theatre in Dublin. We take a short break to explore the castle and estate grounds including the newly restored walled garden before sitting down to some delicious castle tea & scones.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Please phone us with booking reference number to confirm pick-up at least 48 hours before scheduled start time. The bus may be a few minutes before/after the agreed pick up time depending on the prevailing traffic conditions on the day.
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infants must sit on laps
- Do you or any of your party suffer from food allergies? If yes, please inform your guide before departing on this tour.
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.