Castles, Canals and Good Folk: Explore the old city on an audio walking tour
Utrecht is one of the oldest cities in the Netherlands, having started out in the 1st century as a Roman frontier fort. It has always been important and has the scars and the achievements to prove it.
Join me on this self-guided GPS audio tour along canals and down laneways that have witnessed the passing of Knights, Emperors and Beguines. We will explore the less familiar northern quarters of the old city, to castles; a wartime bunker; poetry on high, lofty mansions and little cottages.
Utrecht is located in the centre of the country and is easy to get to from anywhere. You will come to understand the vitality of today's Utrecht more clearly through the layers of its near and distant past. There are also plenty of places to stop on the way to pull up a chair, order a coffee and watch the world walk, drift, or cycle by.
per adult from
60 to 90 minutes
What's included :
- Lifetime access to this tour in English
- VoiceMap App for Android and iOS
- Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
What's excluded :
- Smartphone and headphones
- Food and drink
- Tickets or entrance fees to any museums or other attractions en route
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Hoog Catharijne, Godebaldkwartier 54, 3511 DX Utrecht The Netherlands
The tour starts outside the east entrance to Hoog Catharijne.
Pass By: Vredenburg market, Vredenburg, Utrecht The Netherlands
Nothing beats a Dutch city centre market. Who’s up for croquettes, pickled herring, fresh bread or more cheese varieties than you ever knew existed?
Pass By: Nederlands Volksbuurtmuseum, Waterstraat 27, 3511 BW Utrecht The Netherlands
A small but impressive museum that presents the life and times of those who lived in the working-class neighbourhoods of Utrecht in the tough times of the 1920s.
Pass By: Jacobikerk, St.-Jacobsstraat 171, 3511 BP Utrecht The Netherlands
Utrecht has always had a pivotal role in the religious life of the Netherlands. The Jacobikerk is an important Protestant church that starts our walk through a neighbourhood filled with stories of faith and commitment.
Pass By: Stadskasteel Oudaen, 3511 AD Utrecht, Netherlands
Oudaen is a city castle and one of the most significant buildings in Utrecht. It was built around 1276, so has been around for a while. It’s a great place to stop for refreshment, especially to check out the craft brewery in the cellars.
Pass By: Neude, Utrecht, Utrecht The Netherlands
The most beautiful post office in the whole of the Netherlands is on Neude square.
Pass By: De Lapjesmarkt, Breedstraat, Utrecht, Breedstraat, 3512 TT Utrecht The Netherlands
This is the largest and oldest fabric market in the Netherlands, and has been going for around 400 years.
Pass By: Eye Hotel, Wijde Begijnestraat 1-3, 3512 AW Utrecht, Netherlands
The tour passes by this boutique hotel that was home to an eye hospital in the past.
Pass By: Universiteitsbibliotheek Utrecht Binnenstad (UBB), Drift 27, 3512 BR Utrecht, Netherlands
The tour passes through the old University neighbourhood of Utrecht.
Pass By: Anne Frank standbeeld (statue), Janskerhof, Utrecht The Netherlands
The powerful sculpture of a remarkable young woman who continues to have meaning in our lives long after her passing.
Pass By: Janskerkhof 26, 3512 BN Utrecht The Netherlands
The tour ends near Janskerk with a story about the Order of the Knights of Utrecht.
Departure Point :Hoog Catharijne P5 (Utrecht), Rijnkade 16, 3511 LC Utrecht, Netherlands
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 11/28/2019 - 10/18/2021
Monday - Sunday: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Return Detail :Janskerkhof 2, 3512 BK Utrecht, Netherlands
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- There is a short section along the Oudegracht where the tour takes the stairs down to the water level. Those in a wheelchair or with a stroller can continue the tour on the main street and will only miss a few details that the tour points to.
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- All of VoiceMap's audio tours are self-guided and users must bring their own smartphone and headphones to take the tour. We urge all our users to wear facemasks and carry hand sanitizer with them to ensure they're own protection and the protection of others.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.