Castle, Canal and Coffee Tour by Bike
Join this fantastic, informative tour on a bicycle! Guests will use a recognised Cycle Path to travel around Fort William discovering The Old Fort, Old Inverlochy Castle and the Caledonian Canal. Refreshments are available en route. Views of Ben Nevis are fantastic and the route is fairly flat. If timings go to plan guests will see the Harry Potter Steam Train too. A friendly guide is on hand to help.
per adult from
What's included :
- Coffee and/or Tea - Coffe, tea or a soft drink are included in the price of the tour.
What's excluded :
- Use of bicycle
- Depart from Off Beat Bikes along Sustrans Route 78 on a leisurely cycle through to the Old Fort. This is where Fort William got its name. This former waterside fortress was first built by Cromwell in 1654 and lies at the confluence of Loch Linnhe & Loch Eil. Its waterside park-like location offers scenic views.
Continue on Sustrans Route 78 along the river bank to Old Inverlochy Castle, a 13th century fortress on the banks of the River Lochy and one of the most important in Scotland’s history. It’s one of the few Scottish castles from the 1200’s which survives unaltered and the impressive ruins are one of the most complete. Views form the canal towards Ben Nevis are spectacular.
Depart Inverlochy Castle and take Soldiers Bridge over the Lochy to cycle along Route 78 to the entrance to the Caledonian Canal. Cycle along the canal to Neptune’s Staircase, a ladder of eight locks that raises vessels to 70 feet above sea level over a 500-yard distance.
Stop at Moorings Hotel for prebooked coffee and cake.
Depart Moorings Hotel and return via High School, over Soldiers Bridge, through Inverlochy and back to Off Beat Bikes.
Departure Point :Off Beat Bikes, 117 High St, Fort William PH33 6DG, UK
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.