Castel del Monte "The Citadel of Mysteries" Private Tour from Rome
This fascinating castle built by Frederick II is a masterpiece of medieval architecture, a symbol of Puglia and, since 1996, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The great Emperor Frederick II, known as Stupor Mundi - Wonder of the World, is the "father" of Castel del Monte, which was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1996. The extraordinary fortress sits on a gentle, green hill in the National Park of Alta Murgia, about 20 km (50 mi) away from Andria.
The fortress might have been used as an astronomical observatory or as an imposing hunting lodge. Its mysterious octagonal base sets it significantly apart from all the other castles in Puglia. Castel del Monte is protected by splendid mythological creatures which adorns the keystones in the inside halls and the coral crushed stone doorframes. A unique piece of medieval military architecture, Castel del Monte is a successful blend of elements from classical antiquity, the Islamic Orient and north European Cistercian Gothic.
per adult from
12 to 13 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Pick-up and drop off with luxury transportation and private chauffeur
- Private English-speaking tour escort at your disposal
- Entrance tickets in the Medieval castle of Castel del Monte
- Audio guide inside the Medieval castle of Castel del Monte
- Entry/Admission - Castel del Monte
What's excluded :
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and Beverages
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Castel del Monte, Strada Statale 170, 76125, Andria Italy
Castel del Monte, 37 mi from Bari, is one of the 55 UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Italy. Commissioned by Frederick II of Swabia in the 13th Century, the Castle is a massive and dominating octagonal structure that sits on a small stretch of the Murge plateau in Apulia, 11 mi from Andria. Universally considered an example of genius medieval architecture, Castel del Monte actually unites elements of different styles and traditions from different epochs in history. Visitors can see this in the Romanesque framework of the lions at the Castle's entrance, in the Gothic framework of the towers, in the classical movement of the interior frieze, in the defensive grandeur of the structure in general and in the Islamic refinement of its mosaics . Built in c. 1240, Castel del Monte became the permanent seat of the Court of Frederick II of Hohenstaufen (who became sovereign of the Kingdom of Sicily at three years of age). The monarch, nicknamed "Stupor Mundi" for his eclecticism and his enormous culture, bequeathed his own mysterious air and enigmatic legacy to the Castle itself. The mathematical and astronomical rigor of the castle's design and leaving its visitors both pleased and perplexed by its nature. While the Castle possesses a military look and attributes, it does not feature the usual elements of military monuments from the same period, such as a wall and buildings, for example. Umberto Eco, used as his inspiration for the riddles in "The Name of the Rose".
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Pick up at 6:30 am at your accomodation (hotel, B&B, apartment). Please confirm us the pick up address.N.B .: If your accomodation is not in the area indicated on the above map, send us a message to arrange your pick up.
Departure Time :6:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infants must sit on laps
- Infant seats available
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Stroller accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Wheelchair accessible
- Child rate applies only when shared with 2 paying adults
- Wheelchair available on request. Please advise at time of booking if wheelchair assistance is required
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.