Cape Town - Hike Lion's Head at Sunrise!
Hike up South Africa's flagship mountain peak for incredible views at sunrise over Cape Town with experienced local guides!
Beginning on Signal Hill Road, this spiralling, short, steep climb is extremely rewarding with 360 degree views of Table Mountain, Devil’s Peak, the Twelve Apostles, the Mother City and the Atlantic Seaboard. In winter the distant Boland mountain range can often be seen capped in a blanket of snow and in spring the slopes of Lion’s Head are adorned in a wonderful display of floral beauty. This moderately difficult hike is relatively short in distance but with some exposure to heights and rock scrambling on the final summit ridge. This hike is ideal for starting the day with sunrise as the city lights slowly turn off…but you won’t be alone as many others have the same idea!
It's especially good in the winter months if there's no rain about! (May-August)
per adult from
3 hours 30 minutes
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
What's excluded :
- Bottled water - Please bring 1-2 litres of water per person
- Snacks - Please bring a snack for when we watch sunrise (e.g. muffin, fruit)
We will hike to the summit of Lion's Head under the night sky to enjoy sunrise over the Mother City!
We set off in darkness with the use of headlamps making a beeline for the summit. As we descend Lion's Head in the early morning sunshine we'll soak in the incredible views while looking closely at the Fynbos vegetation which grows on the mountain slopes. The Cape Floral Kingdom (Fynbos Biome) holds incredible diversity and endemism and you'll come away with a good understanding of our unique flora!
Lion's Head is a very popular mountain to hike so do expect many other hikers also enjoying a sunrise hike!
The activity requires a good level of fitness as we gain 400 metres in elevation & need to descend this too.
There is some technical rock scrambling (use of hands) and exposure to heights (vertical drops), along with the use of fixed steel ladders and chains.
Terrain: Jeep track, standard footpath, ladders, chains & technical rock scrambling.
Comments: Not suitable for those with a fear of heights.
Once we get to the base of the mountain on Signal Hill Road we'll wait for you until your taxi/uber picks you up.
• Lion's Head, Signal Hill Road, Cape Town Central 8001 South Africa
Departure Point :Vida e Caffe, Unnamed Road, Signal Hill, Cape Town, 8001, South Africa
Traveler pickup is offered
Please message us if you would like a pick-up. We can't always guarantee a pick-up so may need to meet you at the start point for the Lion's Head hike on Signal Hill Road.
Departure Time :4:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 5 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Near public transportation
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- On this PRIVATE excursion the focus is on getting into nature: fresh air, open spaces & low risk. As it's a private tour it will be interaction with a single guide through the day, meeting at trail head. Wearing of a mask such as a Buff is ideal when close up. There will be sanitizer available.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.