Budapest Communism Tour
Explore the Pest side of the capital with stories and monuments from behind the Iron Curtain. You'll learn more about the history of Budapest and Hungary during the 20th century. Learn how the two world wars and 40 years of communist dictatorship changed the people, the way of living, the cityscape, and how it influenced our present.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Local guide
- Professional guide
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Discover the memories of Pest of the 1800-1900s on this 3-hour walking tour. Learn the secrets of the impressive buildings, mysterious monuments, and silent statues in the heart of the city.
Hear stories of how Hungary felt about being the spouse of Austria during the time of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, and why Sissi was so keen about the Hungarians. Also learn about how one of the most important kingdoms of Europe got broken up after WWI.
Listen to stories about Hungary's role in the WWII, and about the consequences of their 'liberation' by the Soviet troops. Hear how the country survived the first years of heavy dictatorship, and how the desperate desire for freedom led to the 1956 revolution. Be introduced to the heroes and see the monuments commemorating them. You'll learn more about ‘Goulash Communism’ and how Hungary became the ‘happiest barrack in the communist camp’ despite all of the madness of the Stalinist era.
Departure Point :Budapest, Budapest, Central Hungary
Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Wheelchair accessible
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.