Buda Castle Walking Tour - 3 hours
Discover the Castle District during a comfortable walk. While we are strolling along the cobblestone streets of this historical area you will learn more about its secrets and stories. This old part of the city is full of stunning architecture from the Medieval to the Baroque period. From the walls you can enjoy a sublime view of the Danube and the monumental buildings of Pest.
The history of this area goes back to the 13th century and its golden period was in the 15th century. The Ottoman invasion, the Habsburg period and the fights in 1944-1945 had a significant effect on the architectural feature of the district.
The most popular sights of this area are the Matthias Church, the Fishermen's Bastion, the Royal Palace and other interesting places under the earth as well. This tour can also be extended on request by a visit to the Watertown, which is a narrow area between the Danube and the Castle Hill.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup
- Private tour
What's excluded :
- Transportation to/from attractions
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Castle District Townhall, Kapisztran Ter 1, Budapest Hungary
We will approach the Castle District via Adam Clark Square, where you will be informed about the stories of Chain Bridge, the tunnel and the furnicular. As we slowly walk up the ramp towards the Castle District we will pass the Castle Garden. This area got its Neo-renaissance style in the second part of the 19th century. Climbing up the stairs we can reach the Savoy Terrace. Here you can enjoy one of the most beautiful views of Budapest. As we go around the Royal Palace you will find the spectacular Matthias fountain and will learn about the historical background of the former royal residence.Leaving the Royal Palace behind we will walk across Saint George Square. Today one can find Sándor Palace here,
Passing by the remains of the former Ministry of Defence and the Headquarters of the Army we will arrive at the civilian town of the Caste District
Stop At: Matthias Church, Szentharomsag ter 2, Budapest 1014 Hungary
Passing by the remains of the former Ministry of Defence and the Headquarters of the Army we will arrive at the civilian town of the Caste District. While we are heading towards the Matthias Church you will hear about the cave system under the cobblestone streets and the stories of legendary Hungarian figures like Arthur Görgey or András Hadik, whose memorials can be found in the area.
When we arrive at Holy Trinity Square you will have the opportunity to admire the marvellous Matthias Church outside and inside, whose history is inseparable from the area. You can again enjoy the panorama of the Hungarian capital from the Fisherman's Bastion next to the church.
Stop At: Hungarian National Archives, Budapest, Hess András tér 5, 1014 Hungary
Afterwards the tour continues in the northern part of the Castle District. We will pass the medieval Jewish praying house as we get closer to Vienna Gate Square. Here you can take pleasure in the Baroque style houses of the square and the impressive building of the Hungarian National Archives.
Stop At: Church of Saint Mary Magdalene, Budapest, Kapisztrán tér 6, 1014 Hungary
Finally we will arrive at the Mary Magdalene tower, the remains of the church damaged in WW2 and pulled down in the fifties. If the opening hours allow us we can climb up the stairs for a breathtaking view of the city. After the tour, you can relax in any of the restaurants or cafés close to the tower or you can descend towards the Watertown.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 10 hours of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.