Birdwatching Forest Trek in Kitulgala from Mount Lavinia
This amazing one day rain forest hike takes you to see the beautiful rain forest of Kitulgala and explore its rich eco-diversity. Walk through the dense undergrowth along the wide banks of Kelani, that runs through the forest, to see many types of birds and animals. Enjoy the sight of the roaring white waterfalls of Kitulgala. Get a possible chance to view the location where the historical filming of the Academy Award winning movie The Bridge on the River Kwai took place in 1957. A delicious lunch Sri Lankan lunch is included.
per adult from
9 hours 30 minutes
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Nature hike.
- Air-conditioned vehicle.
- Entrance ticket included.
- Commentary and advice from expert naturalist guide.
- Dugout Outrigger Canoe ride across river.
- Highly recommended for Bird Watching.
What's excluded :
- Food and Drink.
You will be picked up from your hotel in Mount Lavinia, early in the morning, at 5 am. Your chauffeur will take you on a two and a half hour drive to get to Kitulgala. There you will meet up with your naturalist guide who will take you to a little wharf on the Kelani riverbank alongside the Kitulgala Resthouse. Thereafter, your guide will take you on hidden trails that will let you see the best sights.
Chinthaka, who will be your naturalist, will help you identify some of the endemic birds and nocturnal birds (that will still be about due to the early timing) through his extensive birding knowledge, along with showing you the other forest mammals, butterflies, wildlife and rare herbs and plants in the forest. So make sure to have your binoculars and cameras at hand.
You will be having lunch by taking the canoe back to the Rest house. If you have time, your guide will take you to see the now somewhat overgrown filming location of The Bridge on the River Kwai.
you will be leaving Kitulgala around 4:30 pm. Your naturalist guide will drive you back to Mount Lavenia and drop you off back at your hotel by 6:00 pm, completing your tour.
• Makandawa Forest Reserve, Yatiyantota D.S, Kithulgala South GS division, Kitulgala Sri Lanka
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :5:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.