Battle Between Christianity and Traditional Kapu (Kona, Hawaii)
This tour takes you on the journey of the Kapu system of Hawaii to the induction of Christianity. Where each way of life is explored through the eyes of the Hawaiian People. Learn about the civil war that took place as both sides fought for what they believed in and for their God.
* The Battle of Kuamo'o
* Mamalahoa Trail (Kings Highway)
* Inside look of the Ancient Hawaiian Kapu system
* Early Catholic presence.
* Story of Christianity as told by the Hawaiians (pros and
* How Kapu and Christianity work together today with Mālama kō aloha.
Visit several heiau's, a very special Catholic Church, and end learning about this great battle at the entrance of this sacred land. Hear the stories of this great battle that are retold through oral history to many of our drivers. Learn why that Ku the God of War is blindfolded during certain times of the year. This is truly a one of a kind tour. Some hiking is required.
per adult from
5 to 7 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Bottled water
- Entry/Admission - Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park
- Entry/Admission - Lekeleke Burial Ground
What's excluded :
- Alcoholic Beverages
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park, 1871 Trail, Honaunau, Island of Hawaii, HI 96726
Wander the ancient city of refuge and learn personal stories of Kamehameha The Great's lovely wife Ka'ahumanu and so much more.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Lekeleke Burial Ground, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI
Learn about the 1819 Battle that changed Hawaii forever. This ancient Civil War was fought against the ancient ways vs. the new Christian ways.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: The Painted Church, 84-5140 Painted Church Rd, Captain Cook, Island of Hawaii, HI 96704-8409
Learn about the teachings of the new missionaries in Hawaii. Witness first hand the beautiful paintings that adorn the inside of these great buildings.
Duration: 45 minutes
Departure Point :1: Kailua-Kona, HI, USA
2: Waikoloa Village, HI, USA
Traveler pickup is offered
Please meet us at the dock or at your hotel lobby. Ports
- Kailua Pier, Kaahumanu Pl, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740, USA
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infant seats available
- If anyone in the group has specific needs such as a wheelchair or uses a car seat. Please bring your own whenever possible and tell us at least 48 hours in advance.
- Most travelers can participate
- Most of the tour is accessible by wheelchair. The last part is some hiking along Kings Highway is not wheelchair or stroller accessible.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.