BASQUE CHEESE and TXAKOLI WINE - Private Gastronomic Adventure
Embark on a gastronomic adventure on this full-day private Basque cheese and wine day trip, from Donostia/San Sebastian. Travel to the mountain village of Idiazabal, where the famous traditional Basque cheese is made. Visit the museum, and wander the area, stopping at a traditional farm known for its high-quality cheese. After a tasting a several varieties of cheese, head to the fishing town of Getaria to visit a sustainable Txakoli winery and dive into the world of this peculiar Basque wine. After the wine tasting we will decent to the village of Getaria to explore it's medieval streets and learn about the history of Elkano and Balenciaga. We will also stop for a lunch in one of its amazing seafood restaurants to try the local speciality: charcoal grilled fish.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Private guide and driver
- Private group
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Lunch in Getaria
- Visit to a Txakoli winery, wine tasting with local snacks
- Visit to a cheese farm, Idiazabal cheese tasting
- All transportation costs (petrol, parking and toll)
- Entry/Admission - Asador Mayflower
What's excluded :
- Meals, drinks and tickets that are not listed above
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Aia, Aia, Province of Guipuzcoa, Basque Country
Our first stop is a typical ‘latxa’ sheep farm dedicated to one of the oldest Basque crafts: making cheese. During our visit on the farm you’ll not only learn about the production of an award-winning Idiazabal cheese but also take part in this process. Armed with the knowledge you’ll savour a selection of the typical cheese examples. Natural or smoked. Young or aged. All of them made from unpasteurized sheep milk. This is what we call: ‘the real cheese’ :)
Duration: 1 hour
Pass By: Parque Natural de Pagoeta, Termino Municipal de Aia, Zarautz Spain
Pagoeta is situated between the coast and the inland valleys and it's characterised for its very rugged terrain covered with natural forests, scrubland and extensive pastures with a few scattered farmhouses.
Pass By: Getaria, Getaria, Province of Guipuzcoa, Basque Country
Getaria - true Txakoli heaven! Getaria is one of four Txakoli wine regions and also the most renowned one. We chose a small, sustainable winery to embrace the traditional methods of wine making. You will dive in the world of ‘txakoli’ making process, Hondarribi Zuri and Beltza grapes and learn how to serve and pair it. Enough talking - time to try this bubbly, crisp drink!
Stop At: Getaria Fishing Port, Getaria Spain
Next discover the medieval village of Getaria. You’ll dive into fascinating history of the village and learn about its most famous citizens like Elkano - the first man who circumnavigate the world or Balenciaga - one of the most important fashion designers of all times. Getaria has it all! Medieval charm, fishing traditions, txakoli wine, the best fish seafood restaurants...
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Asador Mayflower, Lugar, Katrapona Plaza, 4 Bajo, 20808 Guetaria, Gipuzkoa, Spain
Lunch time! Getaria is home to some of the best seafood restaurants in the region and you’ll have an opportunity to try its speciality: charcoal grilled fish and local wine. You can watch how the chefs prepare fish on massive outdoor BBQs. You can’t go more local and authentic than that. It is a 100% zero kilometer meal.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Pass By: Paseo Costero, Zarautz Spain
You will enjoy beautiful ride along the coast from Getaria to Zarautz.
Pass By: Monte Igueldo, Plaza del Funicular, 4, 20008 San Sebastian - Donostia Spain
From Zarautz we will continue to Orio from where we will drive up Mount Igueldo. During this scenic ride we will pass green fields, farmhouses and admire incredible views of the ocean.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Pick up available also from different locations - please ask for details!Please wait in the hotel lobby 10 minutes before your scheduled pickup time.
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessibility is extra paid - contact for details
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Our vehicles and offices are cleaned and disinfected in accordance with the cleaning and disinfection protocol certified by the Institute for Spanish Tourism Quality (ICTE). We also use an ozone air purification treatment in our vehicles before every tour.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.