ATM Cave (Actun Tunichil Muknal)
Let our guides take you back in time, explore the impressive underworld of the ATM Cave and enjoy one of the most enlightening experiences of your life. When you venture into the hour glass shaped entrance you will be welcomed by clear blue waters from the perennial stream that flows throughout the cave.
Along the way you will see ancient tools, pots and pieces and learn the history of the Mayan Civilization. As you travel deeper into the cave you will meet sacred burials and the Crystal Maiden complete and intact female remains covered in sparkling mineral deposits. Her death is sacrificial ritual for agricultural fertility.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Helmet, Head light and life vest(optional)
- Entry/Admission - Actun Tunichil Muknal
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Actun Tunichil Muknal, Tea Kettle Village Belize
Actun Tunichil Muknal “Cave of the Stone Sepulchre” was first discovered in 1989. Located in the Tapir Mountain Reserve of the Cayo District near the village of Roaring Creek, this popular cave is rated as the #1 cave in Central America by National Geographic and listed as one of the top things to do in Belize.
The ATM Cave is known to have been used by the Mayas for ceremonial purposes during the Classic Period. Most of the ceremonies and/or rituals were carried out at the entrance of the cave. The interior of the cave was considered to be more sacred for its proximity to the Mayan rain God, Chaak. Towards the end of the Classic Period, it is believed that the rituals moved deeper into the cave as a result of drought, thus believed to contribute to the collapse of the Mayan Civilization.
The natural geological wonder of crystalline stalactites and stalagmites formations are not the only remarkable thing about the ATM. This 5-kilometer-long museum is filled with ancient Mayan artefacts and holds over 14 human skeletal remains of men, women and children.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :29 Burns Avenue, San Ignacio, Belize
Traveler pickup is offered
MINIMUM 2 personsWe offer free pickup with in the town limits of San Ignacio and Santa Elena. An additional fee might be charged for pickups not within town limits, airport pick ups and water taxi pickups. Kindly message us for more information or if you are unsure if your hotel or airbnb is within town limits.
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.