Athens Small-Group Food Tasting Tour
Experience the best travel stories for yourself! Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this Lonely Planet Experience powered by Urban Adventures. Savor delicious Greek foods that will tantalize your taste buds during this 2.5-hour food tasting tour of Athens. You’ll voyage on foot and discover the 'big five' of Greek cuisine, including licorice-flavored ouzo, classic feta and olives, smooth olive oil and sesame seed–crusted rings of 'koulouri' (bread). Plus, your guide will take you to a local delicatessen, where you’ll meet the owner and uncover the hidden secrets of Athenian eats. This small-group tour is limited to 12 people for a more intimate experience.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local English speaking guide
- Tastings of Greek sweets, koulouri, olive oil, olives, cheeses & more
- Greek alcohol (wine, ouzo)
- Traditional meze dishes (a meze is a small appetiser or side dish)
- Visits to markets, Kotzia Square, Avyssinias Square, Monastiraki Square, Athena's Road, churches, and a traditional deli.
- Entry/Admission - Kotzia Square
- Entry/Admission - Central Market
- Entry/Admission - Agia Irini Church
- Entry/Admission - Athens Street
- Entry/Admission - Monastiraki Square
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Kotzia Square, 63A Athinas St, Athens Greece
You’ll meet your local guide and begin this Athens tour by exploring Kotzia Square, located in the heart of Athens. The square is surrounded by gorgeous neoclassical buildings, which were constructed in the early 18th century, and also some ancient ruins of old houses that you will have a peek at on your way to the market.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Central Market, Athinas 42, Athens 999-20 Greece
Your local guide will show you around the best of the Central Market, taking you to places few tourists venture and helping you discover a variety of delicious Greek specialties. From the simple koulouri (a round-shaped bread with sesame seeds) and delicate local pastries, to the Greek staples of feta and olives, the Central Market is a feast for the senses.
Duration: 50 minutes
Stop At: Agia Irini Church, 36 Aiolou Street, Athens Greece
We also try either an invigorating Greek coffee (in the winter) or a cold frappe in warmer days, which are popular local beverages. Athens food is a rich mix of old and new, traditional and modern, and this tour is the perfect way to discover all these aspects.
Duration: 40 minutes
Stop At: Athens Street, Athens Greece
Next on this culinary tour of Athens, we drop by a Greek deli that sells traditional produce and is a popular shopping place for locals. Here you can chat to the shop owner and ask him about all of his produce — and taste some of course! This spot sells the best seasonal food available, perfect for a picnic in the city if you’d like to return another time during your stay in Athens.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Monastiraki Square, Agias Eleousis 3, Athina 105 55, Greece
Finally on this Athens tour, you’ll make your way to Monastiraki Square where your adventure will end. Your guide will be happy to recommend other places to see in this ancient city and where some of the best local restaurants are located, if you can stomach even more Greek deliciousness!
Duration: 15 minutes
Departure Point :Kotzia Square, Athens 105 51, Greece
Departure Time :11:00 AM
Return Detail :Monastiraki, Athina, Greece
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- All of the stores you visit on your tour are 100% locally owned and run. Supporting small-scale, locally-run businesses helps to preserve the traditional character of old Athens.
- At least one store on your itinerary is dedicated to the preservation of locally-produced crafts.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.