Athens: ‘New York Times Journeys’ Historic Neighborhoods and Local Food
Immerse yourself in Athenian culture by exploring ancient masterpieces and mingling with hipsters in trendy neighborhoods on an itinerary inspired by The New York Times’s “36 Hours” series. Go behind the scenes at a jewelry workshop, and meet the locals. The city that invented cities has survived for 5,000 years and remains a world-class destination for travelers. Taste it, see it and experience it with an Urban Adventures local guide. Sure, the ancient monuments are exciting, but wait until you taste the savory pies hot from the oven and shake up your own cocktail.
per adult from
4 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Local, English-speaking guide
- Freddo espresso or frappé coffee
- Local Koulouri or Tsoureki
- Large portion of Greek pie
- Two hands-on Greek experiences
- Behind-the-scenes access at Ilias Lalaounis Jewelry Museum
- Entry/Admission - Monastiraki
What's excluded :
- Guide gratuity
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Makrygianni S.A., Athens 117 42, Greece
Begin just off the Acropolis Metro Station in Makrygianni, where you can see 5,000-year-old city remnants nestled beneath the new Acropolis Museum.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: koukaki, Veikou 36, Athina 117 42, Greece
Stroll around Koukaki, one of Athens’s hippest and liveliest neighborhoods. Stop at Taki’s Bakery for a koulouri sesame ring or tsoureki, sweet Greek bread. Immerse yourself in Athenian coffee culture by sipping a freddo espresso or frappé coffee. You’ll also go behind the scenes at Ilias Lalaounis Jewelry Museum to learn traditional techniques of metalsmithing and decorative art
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Philopappos Hill, Athens 105 55 Greece
Then, head to Philopappos Hill. Follow the trail with the marble monument of Philopappos, completed in 119 A.D., and the monument of Pnyx, where ancient Athenians like Pericles and Themistocles spoke.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Anafiotika, Athens 105 58 Greece
Next on your Athens tour is a stroll through scenic Anafiotika. With its charming cobblestone alleys and Instagram-worthy whitewashed homes nearly stacked on top of one another, you’ll feel as if you’ve been transported to a Greek island.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Plaka, Athens 10556 Greece
Wander around the historical neighborhood of Plaka and stop for a delicious variety of local pites, or Greek homemade savory pies.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Monastiraki, Athens Greece
Continue to the country’s largest open-air market and meet a sandal artisan and poet in his workshop. Three generations of his family have served celebrities like Sarah Jessica Parker, the Beatles and Barbra Streisand. Then, try wrapping your own gyros at one of the city’s oldest establishments.
Duration: 1 hour 35 minutes
Departure Point :Acropoli, Athens 117 42, Greece
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Monastiraki Square, Agias Eleousis 3, Athina 105 55, Greece
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- We can accommodate vegetarians and other dietary restrictions. Please notify us in advance if you have any dietary requests.
- This is a child-friendly tour. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge.
- Most travelers can participate
- Local Impact: How you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- By experiencing a hands-on lesson in traditional techniques at the Jewelry Museum, your tour helps to preserve local culture.
- Your tour supports locally-run businesses, such as a sandal-maker, which helps preserve traditional crafts for the next generation.
- All of the stores your visit on your tour are 100% locally owned and run
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.