Athens Exarcheia Neighbourhood Sweet Sins and Anarchy Afternoon Food Tour
Athens is about much more than the Acropolis. Get off the beaten track with a visit to Exarcheia, and see for yourself why it was selected among the coolest neighbourhoods of Europe. With an experienced local guide, you’ll explore the neighbourhood where anarchists, students, intellectuals and artists prefer to live. Browse second-hand vinyl and vintage fashion, visit independent coffee shops and contemporary art spaces, and try special sweet delights in a part of Athens only known by locals!
per adult from
2 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Local, English-speaking guide
- 4 special sweet delights at 4 different stops
- Bottled water and a Greek coffee
- Bottled water
- Coffee and/or Tea
What's excluded :
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
- Additional food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: The Academy of Athens, 28 Panepistimiou Avenue, Athens 106 79 Greece
Heading off from Panepistimio metro station and the impressive surrounding buildings, we’ll start our tour by sipping a Greek coffee and sampling traditional loukoumades, sinful, Greek-style doughnuts. Continuing our walk, you’ll hear stories of the neighbourhood related to the recent history of the country.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Kallidromiou, Athina, Greece
With its neoclassical buildings, street art, vintage stores and old coffee shops, this is street is a must-visit.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Strefi 242 00, Greece
We will walk up the hill where you’ll enjoy a panoramic view of Athens and a different perspective of the Acropolis not often seen. Have your camera ready!
Our next stop will be a local sweets shop established in 1915 where you’ll savour its tasty ice cream flavoured with dry figs and tsipouro, a grape-based alcoholic beverage.
Duration: 45 minutes
Pass By: Open Air Cinema THISION, 7 Apostolou Pavlou, Athens 118 51 Greece
We’ll continue our walk through the Exarcheia district, passing by the oldest open-air cinema of Athens. Open-air cinema culture is an important part of Athenian life during the summer. Keep it in mind and why not come back later to watch a movie under the stars?
Stop At: Exarcheia, Athens, Greece
The Exarcheia walking tour wouldn’t be complete without passing through the main square, the symbol of urban resistance, riots and anarchists, completely covered in graffiti and political posters while being surrounded by buzzing alternative cafes and restaurants. Before getting back to the meeting point, you’ll have the opportunity to taste more sweet delights at two more stops.
Duration: 50 minutes
Departure Point :ΠΑΝΕΠΙΣΤΗΜΙΟ ΠΛ.1, Athens 106 79, Greece
Departure Time :1:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- We can accommodate vegetarians and other dietary restrictions. Please notify us in advance if you have any dietary requests.
- This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6.
- Please wear comfortable shoes for walking.
- You will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- Local Impact: How you will help the local community by joining this tour: By joining this tour you help support local businesses in a neighborhood that doesn't generally benfit from tourism.
- By visiting 100% local, small-scale businesses, you'll help them thrive through financial crisis.
- Your tour also supports a 100-year-old local bakery which helps ensure it can continue serving authentic local delicacies.
- By joining this tour, you are helping to keep Exarcheia's unconventional and creative characters in the spotlight, during times where national forces are creating tension.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.