Ancient Sparta & Mystras Private Day Tour from Athens
This amazing tour will give you the opportunity to discover the history of Laconia combining Ancient Greek and (the lesser known) Medieval Greek history. Visit Sparta, where Leonidas reigned and travel back in Byzantine era walking around towers, palaces and churches in Mystras.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Professional Drivers with Deep knowledge of history. [Not licensed to accompany you in any site.]
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Private transportation
- Bottled water
- Skip the line to purchase site tickets.
What's excluded :
- Entrance tickets.[16€ for over 6 yo for Non EU & 24 yo for EU Citizens]
- Airport Pick Up and drop-off (Additional cost)
- Licensed Tour guide on request [Additional cost - 250 €]
- Entry/Admission - Archaeological Site of Mystras
- Entry/Admission - Museum of the Olive and Greek Olive Oil
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Corinth Canal, Isthmia, Corinth 201 00 Greece
We will begin with a drive along the coast. On the way you will view of some Greek seaside villages and the island of Salamis (where the historical naval battle took place between the Athenians and the Persians).
Our first stop the Corinth Canal. Opened in 1892 separating the Peloponnese peninsula from the rest of Greece and connecting the Saronic Gulf to the Corinthian Sea. You will have time to walk across on a pedestrian bridge to admire the canal closer, (if you’re game) on some days bungee jumping is an option.
Duration: 15 minutes
Pass By: Mystras, 6km NW of Sparta, Sparta, Sparta Municipality 23100 Greece
After the stop at the canal we will head towards Mystras driving into the southern Peloponnese peninsula through the mountainous landscape of the Greek country side. Reaching Mystras you will automatically understand why this location stands so unique within the Greek sites. Known as the ghost city, fortified on a citadel, Mystras is one of the two locations in Greece that preserves not only medieval churches but also ordinary houses, mansions and palaces of the Byzantine Empire in combination with Frankish elements.
Stop At: Archaeological Site of Mystras, Mystras, Sparta Municipality Greece
Walking in the site on the upper point you will reach the citadel and enjoy a magnificent view of the surrounding areas while walking down hill you will meet the palaces and the Royal courtyards. Although known as the ghost city most of the monasteries are still in use and the monks will gladly show you around their small society. Before you exit you will come across the chapel of St. Demetrios, on its floor survives a plaque depicting a two head eagle (the symbol of Byzantium). It was on this very plaque that Konstantine Palaiologos kneeled before he was crowned the last emperor of the Byzantium.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Acropolis and Ancient Theater, north end of Sparta, Sparta, Sparta Municipality Greece
Following that we will spend the rest of our time in Sparta known as the eternal rival city of the Athenian Democracy. Sparta revolved around a different Cosmo theory for the ancient Greek standards. Initially known as the birth place of Helen of Troy and the Kingdom of Menelaus (in Mycenaean period), Sparta was organized as a purely military society in the ancient Greek period. It was the city of the two Kings were a few aristocrats ruled and of course the city where Leonidas and his 300 Spartans marched from to face the Persian army Thermopylae in 480 BCE.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Leonidas Monument, Sparta, Sparta Municipality Greece
Continuing we will pass in front of the stadium where the statue of King Leonidas stands marking the ending point of Spartathlon race (Athens – Sparta 245,3 km).
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Museum of the Olive and Greek Olive Oil, 129 Othonos Amalias Street, Sparta, Sparta Municipality 231 00 Greece
We will visit the museum of (olive and) olive oil and learn many things about the most famouss products of Greece.
Duration: 20 minutes
Pass By: Athens, Athens, Attica
We will drive back to Athens.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We suggest that the tour starts at 8:00 am. If for any reason this is not convenient for you we will adjust the time according to your needs.Ports
- Piraeus Port
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- The drivers are not licensed to accompany you inside any site or museum. If you require a licensed guide to tour the sites with you, you need to hire one additionally. If you have any questions you can contact us on the phone number provided by Viator.
- The duration of the tours is approximate, the exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions
- Stroller accessible
- Infant seats available
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- Our company complies with all the health instructions of the World Health Organization about COVID-19.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.