Ancient Ostia Day Trip from Rome by Train - Group of 12 max
Escape to Ostia Antica and see why experts are calling it "The Better Pompeii". It is just a step away from Rome and you'll travel in a personalized small group with maximum 12 people! The perfect half day trip from Rome for those seeking to learn more about ancient Roman ruins but do not have time to travel to Pompeii.
per adult from
What's included :
- Professional guide
- Train ticket to and from Rome
- Semi Private group of 12 people max
- Entry/Admission - Parco Archeologico di Ostia Antica
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Rome, Rome, Lazio
Meeting place prior to start the tour
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Parco Archeologico di Ostia Antica, Viale Dei Romagnoli 717, 00119 Ostia Antica Italy
Your tour starts at a meeting location in Rome, where you’ll meet your guide, who provides your round-trip train ticket. Then hop aboard the train for the ride southwest of Rome to Ostia Antica, which lies near the coast.
When you arrive, take a 2.5-hour leisurely walking tour through the ancient ruins, noting their highly preserved state for which this archaeological site is so renowned. Dating as far back as the 4th century BC, the ruins include structures like an amphitheater, the Forum of the Corporations, the Collegiate Temple, taverns and public baths. Once home to more than 100,000 people, Ostia was the port city of Ancient Rome.
Walk along the main road, Decumanus Maximus, while your guide tells you stories about life in town. Admire the intact Roman statues that line the walkways; pass by the Baths of Neptune, crowned by a mosaic that depicts the Roman god of the sea behind a 4-hourse chariot; and take a seat in the amphitheater, which dates back to 12 BC and was built to hold 3,500 spectators. Shops and apartments make up some of the smaller buildings. When your time at the site is up, you’ll return to Rome by train.
Duration: 2 hours 30 minutes
Departure Point :Province of Rome, Province of Rome, Lazio
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children under the age of 18 might be requested to show their ID card at the entrance of the site, so please bring it with you on the tour.
- Near public transportation
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.