All-Day Expedition to Tortuguero National Park from San José
Take an expedition by boat through the dense jungle of Tortuguero National Park and explore one of the most beautiful and scenic regions of Costa Rica. Cruise through an extensive network of freshwater channels – home to river otters, caiman and endangered manatees. On this full-day guided tour, you’ll visit an important nesting site for the endangered green sea turtles, once nearly extinct and now protected in the park! Enjoy complimentary breakfast and have lunch at the luxurious Evergreen Lodge, with round-trip transport from San Jose.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- English speaking guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by private vehicle
- Entry/Admission - Tortuguero National Park
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Gray Line Costa Rica, La Uruca, San Jose 10110 Costa Rica
Meet your guide upon pickup from your San Jose hotel and stop for breakfast at Rancho Roberto's in Guapiles. After your meal, you'll travel through the Braulio Carrillo National Park, one of Costa Rica’s largest national parks. Pass numerous rivers, waterfalls and mountains covered in dense forests on your drive, until you reach a banana plantation.
Here, board a boat and set sail for Tortuguero National Park. Since there are no roads to the park from Tortuguero village, access to the vast network of freshwater lagoons and creeks is by boat. Ride for approximately one hour to reach the canals and keep an eye out for all kind of birds in the lush vegetation along the way.
Tortuguero, meaning ‘turtle catcher,’ formed from an archipelago of volcanic islands where high rainfall eventually created the bio-diverse wetlands – great for nature lovers! During your 3-hour boat tour of Tortuguero National Park, your expert guide will be on hand to teach you about the history and wildlife as you cruise between the marshy isles.
Midday, you’ll have time for a lunch break at Evergreen Lodge, located just five minutes by boat from the entrance to the park. Under the high ceilings of the lovely main dining room, enjoy the ambiance that complements the surrounding jungle landscape.
Get an up-close look at the park's great variety of flora and fauna as you ride among the canals. If you’re lucky, you might spot such wildlife as the spectacled caiman, southern river otter and possibly even the endangered West Indian manatee. The park is also home to sloths, howler and capuchin monkeys, tiny frogs and green iguanas.
The secluded, black-sand beaches of Tortuguero National Park are some of the most important breeding grounds for the green sea turtle. These ancient reptiles once neared extinction as adults were hunted for their meat and their eggs were taken. You'll get the chance to see the sites where the green sea turtles nest and learn from your guide about the park’s efforts to protect this important species.
After exploring the national park, enjoy a return 1-hour boat ride to dry land and then board your coach for the trip back to San Jose, where you’ll be dropped off at your hotel in the evening.
Pass By: Parque Nacional Braulio Carrillo, North Of San Jose 19 km, San Jose 10104 Costa Rica
we head into the mountains of Braulio Carrillo National Park, where steep slopes are covered with thick cloud forest and beautiful waterfalls can be seen from the road.
After crossing Braulio Carrillo, we will enjoy a delicious Costa Rican typical breakfast. Then we continue to a Banana Plantation, where your guide will explain the process of growing and exporting this fruit.
Stop At: Tortuguero National Park, Tortuguero Costa Rica
Covering 29000 hectares. Tortuguero is one of the most important nesting sites of Chelonia Midas, the green sea turtle. Tortuguero’s forests and waterways are home for many endangered mammals such as sloths, monkeys, agoutis, coatimundis and manatees. There are also abundant birds, such as toucans, trogons, egrets, herons and aninghas, as well as crocodiles, turtles and countless colorful butterflies, including the blue morpho.
You will enjoy a hearty typical buffet lunch to please the hungriest of appetites.
After lunch you will take a walk through the Tortuguero Village, where you will have the opportunity to learn about the history of the town and its inhabitants.
Duration: 4 hours
Departure Point :San José Province, San José, Costa Rica
Traveler pickup is offered
On the arrival at the hotel the tour guide is going to ask in the reception of the hotel for the client
Departure Time :6:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A minimum of two passengers are required for the tour to commence. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.