Alaska Railroad Aurora Winter Fairbanks to Anchorage One Way
Experience the splendor of winter in Alaska from the comfort of a warm railcar, complete with comfortable seats, large picture windows and onboard dining. The Aurora Winter Train travels between Fairbanks and Anchorage, making the southbound 12-hour journey on Sundays, as well as select mid-week departures (Wednesdays and/or Fridays) December through March. Flagstop service is provided along the 50-mile stretch of roadless backcountry south of Hurricane Gulch.
While the Aurora Winter Train travels the same stretch of tracks as the summer Denali Star Train, the views are strikingly distinct; the vibrant colors of Alaska’s summer landscape give way to the quiet serenity of pristine snow. On a clear day, a spectacular view of Denali rises into view above the Susitna River. And anywhere along the tracks, a watchful eye may be rewarded with the sight of a moose in the wild.
per adult from
What's included :
- One-way rail transportation from Fairbanks to Anchorage
- Comfortable reserved seating in non-smoking cars
- Baggage services
- Optional dining and snack bar
What's excluded :
- Lodging in Anchorage
- Tours and activities in Anchorage
- Transportation after arriving in Anchorage
- These options can be booked independently or through Alaska Railroad directly after booking.
- The route spans two of Alaska’s five geographic regions – Southcentral and Interior Alaska. North of the Denali National Park, the train winds along Healy Canyon, following the curves of the Nenana River below. South of the park, Broad Pass offers majestic views of the Alaska Range in all directions. North of Talkeetna, the tracks veer away from the road system and into the backcountry Hurricane area; this region offers views of the snaking Indian River, the occasional remote cabin and the expansive sight of Hurricane Gulch from the top of a 296-foot bridge. Traveling between Talkeetna and Anchorage, the train crosses the Knik River with the Chugach Mountains as a backdrop. Just south of Talkeetna, watch for views of Denali rising high above the Susitna River.
• Depart Fairbanks at 8:30 am
• Arrive Anchorage at 8:00 pm
• Explore Anchorage on your own, accommodations booked separately and at own expense
• (Option for accommodations or additional rail transportation - to be scheduled directly with Alaska Railroad after booking)
Snack bar and optional dining available for purchase.
Departure Point :Alaska Railroad Fairbanks Depot, 1031 Alaska Railroad Depot Rd, Fairbanks, AK 99701, USA
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :Anchorage Depot, 411 W 1st Ave, Anchorage, AK 99501, USA
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Infants (0-1) may be added to a reservation as lap children (not requiring a paid, reserved seat) but they must be registered in the booking. To register an infant as a lap child, please indicate so in the “Special Requests” option in the final checkout and include the infant’s name, age and gender.
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Please visit our Coronavirus (COVID-19) Passenger Information and Resources page: https://www.alaskarailroad.com/passenger-information
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.