A Storied Neighborhood: Dance the dialectic with Bill Ayers on an audio tour
This self-guided audio tour begins at the Laboratory Schools founded by John Dewey, and winds through the University of Chicago. Along the way, walkers will encounter world-renowned architects and Nobel Laureates, robber barons and artists, the DuSable Museum of African American History and the birthplace of the Atomic Age.
In storied Washington Park, there may be soccer or cricket matches underway, bicycle rallies or softball games in progress, waves of runners or families gathered for a picnic. From there it's a short stroll to the home of President Barack Obama and his family.
You guide is William Ayers, a former Professor of Education and Senior University Scholar. He has written extensively about social justice and democracy, education and the cultural contexts of schooling, and teaching as an essentially intellectual, ethical, and political enterprise. The tour is ready whenever you are, simply download it onto the VoiceMap app and select Start Tour.
per adult from
40 to 60 minutes
What's included :
- Lifetime access to this tour in English
- VoiceMap App for Android and iOS
- Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
What's excluded :
- Tickets or entrance fees to any museums or other attractions en route
- Smartphone and headphones
- Food and drink
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: University of Chicago Laboratory Schools, 1362 E 59th St, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
The tour starts outside the University of Chicago Laboratory Schools.
Pass By: Rockefeller Memorial Chapel, 5850 S Woodlawn Ave, Chicago, IL 60637-1628
The tour passes the Rockefeller Memorial Chapel.
Pass By: Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie House, 5757 S Woodlawn Ave, Chicago, IL 60637-1698
The tour passes Frederick C. Robie House.
Pass By: University of Chicago, 5801 S Ellis Ave, Chicago, IL 60637-5418
The tour passes some fo the faculties and buildings belonging to the University of Chicago.
Pass By: Nuclear Energy Sculpture, S Ellis Ave Just north of 56th Street, Chicago, IL 60637
The tour passes the Nuclear Energy Sculpture.
Pass By: Washington Park, Washington Park, Chicago, Illinois
The tour passes through parts of the Washington Park.
Pass By: DuSable Museum of African American History, 740 E 56th Pl, Chicago, IL 60637-1408
The tour passes the DuSable Museum of African American History.
Pass By: 1101 East Hyde Park Boulevard Apartments, 1101 E Hyde Park Blvd, Chicago, IL 60615, USA
The tour ends outside 1101 East Hyde Park Boulevard Apartments.
Departure Point :University of Chicago Laboratory Schools, 1362 E 59th St, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 7/22/2020 - 10/21/2021
Monday - Sunday: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Return Detail :1101 East Hyde Park Boulevard Apartments, 1101 E Hyde Park Blvd, Chicago, IL 60615, USA
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- All of VoiceMap's audio tours are self-guided and users must bring their own smartphone and headphones to take the tour. We urge all our users to wear facemasks and carry hand sanitizer with them to ensure they're own protection and the protection of others
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.