7Days Kilimanjaro climb - Machame Route
The Machame route, also referred to as the Whiskey route, was one of the most popular routes and crowded on Kilimanjaro. But now many people have been choosing Lemosho as altenative to avoid crowd which makes the route less populated compare to Lemosho. This is one of our favorite route due to its scenery and success rates. Machame route is one of the highest summit success rates given the topography and nature of the route which allows climbers to “trek high & sleep low” hence making it a more favorable route for acclimatization. This route offers some of the most spectacular scenery while on the mountain. The Machame route starts in the south west side of the mountain and proceeds steeply north, traversing the Shira plateau and eventually joining the Shira and Lemosho routes just after the Shira cave camp. The Machame route can be climbed 7Days to allow climbers been well rested and acclimatized before making the final ascent to the summit.
per adult from
What's included :
- Pick up and drop off at Kilimanjaro International Airport. 2nights of accommodation at our hotel Park fees, camping fees, rescue fees and 18% VAT on tour fees & services which cost nearly 55% of the total cost charged. 4Season mountain tents Sleeping Mats Transportation to & from the mountain gate Professional mountain guides, cooks and porters 3 meals daily while on the mountain Filtered water throughout the trek Fair wages for the mountain crew as approved by the Kilimanjaro National Park Authority (KINAPA), Kilimanjaro Association of Tour Operators (KIATO) Portable flush toilet can be provided for free upon client’s request.
- Bottled water
- Coffee and/or Tea
What's excluded :
- International and domestic Flights Items of a personal nature Laundry Services Lunch and Dinner at your hotel in Moshi Tips to mountain crew
- Day 1: Machame Gate (1790m) to Machame Camp (3010m)
After breakfast we will pick you from your hotel in Moshi to Machame gate, where we complete park formalities and start up our climbing. The first section of the route climbs steadily and passes through magnificent, dense rain forest. This path is less well-trodden so it can get somewhat overgrown in places and it is often wet and muddy underfoot. Distance covered: 10.8km / 6.7mi
Day 2: Machame Camp (3010m) to Shira Camp (3845m)
Our route continues on up through the forest until we reach the steep ascent onto the Shira Plateau, where there are rewarding views of the mountain. You will be able to see Mt Meru rising high above in the distance. Distance covered: 5.4km / 3.4mi.
Day 3: Shira Cave (3845m) to Barranco Camp (3960m)
Walking now on high moorland, the landscape changes the entire character of the trek. We traverse the southwest side of Kilimanjaro, passing underneath the Lava Tower and the final section of the Western Breach and finally reach camp. Distance covered: 10.8km / 6.7mi
Day 4: Barranco Camp (3960m) to Karanga Camp (3963m)
Our day starts by descending into the start of the Great Barranco, a huge ravine. We then exit steeply, up the Great Barranco wall. It’s a climb over rock and bit technical. Passing underneath the Heim and Kersten glaciers, we head towards the Karanga valley. In the evening we do acclimatization up to around 4200m before descending back to camp for the night. Distance covered: 5.5km / 3.4mi.
Day 5: Karanga Camp (3963) to Barafu Camp (4640m)
After a good night’s rest and breakfast, we set off on our walk to Barafu camp at 4640m. On arriving at camp we eat and spend the afternoon resting as we prepare for a long night and day ahead. You will getting up at between 11pm and 12pm to start the climb to the summit. Distance covered: 3km / 1.9mi.
Day 6: Barafu Camp (4640m) to UHURU PEAK (5895m) & down to Mweka Camp (3100m)
We start off at around midnight, and walk steeply upwards to the summit, where we arrive at Stella Point (5739m) as the first rays of the sun hit us. Another hour’s walking takes us to the summit, Uhuru Peak (5895m). We begin our descent to Stella Point and then descending on scree slope to Barafu Camp for breakfast, before finally heading down to Mweka Camp. Distance covered: 16.4km / 9.6mi
Day 7: Trek Mweka Camp (3100m) to Mweka Gate (1630m)
A gentle trek takes us down through the rain forest to Mweka Gate, where we complete park formalities and receive certificates. We are then met by our vehicles and return to the hotel in Moshi. Overnight at your arranged hotel. Distance covered: 9.1km / 7.5miles. Hotel: Bed &Breakfast.
Departure Point :At your hotel in Moshi
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Tip on Mountain Kilimanjaro is recommended for group sharing as following:
- Guide $15/guide/day
- Cook $10/day
- Porters $8/porter/day.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.