6-Day Trekking in Svaneti: from Mestia to Ushguli
Hiking day after day through flower-strewn alpine meadows, over alpine passes, with one of the highest mountains in the Caucasus – Shkhara (5152 m), Janga (5059, Tetnuldi (4858m), Ushba (4710), you will enjoy some of the most picturesque scenery in the Caucasus. This 6-days trekking trail is also exceptional, it offers overnights at local guesthouses in remote villages of Svaneti. The villages in this region have unique architectural styles and are included in the UNESCO world heritage sites. With soaring mountains, gorgeous trails, the most preserved centuries-old towers, and houses, trekking from Mestia to Ushguli is an exhilarating trek that lives up to the highest-class reputation.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- 5x Breakfast
- 5x Dinner
- 4x Lunch
- Accommodation included: 5 nights
- 6-Day Expert Leadership from experienced adventure guides
- All Ground Transportation
- Fuel surcharge
- 2 overnight at a guesthouse with private facilities in Mestia
- 1 overnight at a guesthouse with shared facilities in Zhabeshi
- 1 overnight at a guesthouse with shared facilities in Adishi
- 1 overnight at a guesthouse with shared facilities in Iprali
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
What's excluded :
- Lunches for Day 1 & Day 6
- Overnight in Tbilisi for the last night
Day 1: Tbilisi- Enguri Dam -Mestia
Stop At: Mestia, Mestia, Upper Svaneti, Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti Region
Tbilisi-Enguri Dam: We will meet at your hotel and drive to Svaneti. After 4 hours driving, we stop at Enguri dam which is one of the highest arch dams in the world(a height of 271.5 meters). Then we drive to the region of Upper Svaneti which is an outstanding example of an exceptional mountain landscape composed of highly preserved villages with unique defensive tower houses, examples of ecclesiastical architecture and arts of medieval origin. Visit the Museum of History and ethnography and Svanetian Architectural Museum in Mestia and explore the small town by walking into the narrow streets, visiting small cafes and local souvenirs shops.
Duration: 10 hours
Accommodation included: Overnight at a guesthouse in Mestia
Day 2: Mestia – Zhabeshi
Stop At: Zhabeshi, Zhabeshi, Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti Region
In the morning, we will start actual trekking. We will hike to the Mulakhi community of Zhabeshi village. The route is easy, follows an off-road car and well-marked trail.
Duration: 6 hours
Accommodation included: Overnight at a guesthouse in Zhabeshi with shared facilities.
Day 3: Zhabeshi – Adishi
Stop At: Adishi, Adishi, Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti Region
After breakfast, we start our journey into the wilderness. We hike up to the slopes of Tetnuldi mountain, pass ski resort and descend into the forests of birch trees and rhododendron bushes. After passing a mountainous small river, the alpine meadows will be in front of us. Here is located Adishi village which consists of stone towers and houses built several centuries ago. Its beautiful location, just below Tetnuldi mountain, on the right bank of the roaring mountainous river and between the high mountains with local architecture makes this village so special and picturesque.
Duration: 6 hours
Accommodation included: Overnight at a local guesthouse with shared facilities in Adishi
Day 4: Adishi – Chkhutnieri Pass - Iprali
Stop At: Ushguli, Ushguli, Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti Region
In the early morning, we will start our Svaneti Adventure. Here we follow upstream to the river. After one hour of pleasant walking across the river, we need to cross the roaring Adishi river. For our safety, we will get on horseback and cross the river. Afterward, we will climb up to the Chkhunderi pass (2655m). From here you can enjoy majestic panoramic views of the picturesque Adishi Glacier. After having a lunch on the top of the ridge and enjoying with views, we will descend into the valley of Khaldechala river. After two hours easy walk, we reach Khalde village which was destroyed in the 19th century by the Russian soldiers. From here our pass will follow an off-road to Iprali village.
Duration: 8 hours
Accommodation included: Overnight at a local guesthouse with shared facilities in Iprali.
Day 5: Iprali -Ushguli-Mestia
Stop At: Ushguli Ethnographic Museum, Ushguli 3214 Georgia
In the morning, we trek through traditional Svani villages. After passing by Kala and Davberi villages, we are trekking through forest and reach Ushguli from above. Ushguli is located at the foot of mount Shkara and at the confluence of the rivers Enguri and Kvishiri. The highest permanent settlement in Europe (2200 m) with the outstanding mixture of mountainous landscape and the medieval-type towers and churches will astonish visitors. Here you will visit the Ushguli Ethnographic museum located in the 12th-century old Svanetian tower-house. We also visit a medieval Lamaria church ( of the assumption of the Mother of God).
Duration: 6 hours
Accommodation included: Overnight at a guesthouse in Mestia.
Day 6: Mestia-Tbilisi
Stop At: Tbilisi, Tbilisi
After breakfast, we will depart to Tbilisi. On our way, we will visit Chalaadi glacier. We will follow upstream of Mestiachala river and after 1,5 km, we reach our finish, a place where the river is born. Afterward, we travel to Tbilisi.
Duration: 10 hours
No accommodation included on this day.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offeredAirports
- Shota Rustaveli Tbilisi International Airport, Tbilisi Georgia
- David the Builder Kutaisi International Airport, Georgia
Departure Time :7:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Dress code is smart casual
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Each traveler is allowed a maximum of 1 suitcase and 1 carry-on bag. Oversized or excessive luggage (e.g. surfboards, golf clubs or bikes) may have certain restrictions, please inquire with the operator prior to travel to confirm if your excess luggage is acceptable
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.