4-Day Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu
Forget the Inca Trail and hike to Machu Picchu along the higher and more beautiful Salkantay Trail! Embark on a challenging 4-day trek along the alternative Salkantay route, crossing over a 4,650 meters high pass where you can marvel at the Salkantay and Humantay peaks standing over 6,000 meters high. Hike along this unspoiled trail, passing through the villages of Soraypampa and Santa Teresa, to discover indigenous mountain communities. See the 'Lost City of the Incas' in the early morning light after having spent time in the town of Aguas Calientes.
-Hike among 6,000m Andean peaks
-Cross snowy high passes with incredible views
-Reach the comfort of Aguas Calientes town
-See the Machu Picchu site as it opens with a guide
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- 3x Breakfast
- 3x Dinner
- 3x Lunch
- Accommodation included: 3 nights
- Pre-departure briefing
- Cuzco Accommodation Pick-Up
- Van Cuzco to Mollepata to Challacancha (starting point of trek)
- Car Transfer La Playa to Santa Teresa to Hydroelectric Station
- Round Trip Tourist Bus Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu
- Tourist Train Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo
- Bus Ollantaytambo to Cuzco
- Professional Bilingual Guide on trek & Machu Picchu tour
- Camping Accommodation during trek (including Basic Sleeping Pad & tent for 2 people)
- 1-night 3* Hotel Accommodation at Aguas Calientes
- Meals: 3B/3L/3D/2 snacks with typical menus
- Horseman and mules to carry cooking and camping equipment plus a total of 7 kilos for each trekker. (This includes 3 kilos for your sleeping bag & mattress plus 4 kilos of personal items.
- Foam Sleeping Mat
- First Aid kit
- Emergency oxygen bottle
- Small group experience; Max 16, Avg 4
What's excluded :
- Airport Pick-Up and Drop-Off(please make your own way)
- Day 1 Breakfast, Day 4 Lunch and Dinner, Bottled Water
- Sleeping Bag (Rental $15 USD for the trek)
- Guide for bus and train transfers (these portions are on your own)
- Optional Services
- Train transfer from Hydroelectric Station to Aguas Calientes (30 usd)
- Huayna Picchu Trek (48 soles) must be booked at least 2 weeks in advance
- Machu Picchu Mountain Hike (48 soles) must be booked at least 1 week in advance
- Accommodation in Cuzco
- Trekking Permit
- The Peruvian government may require a trekking permit for Salkantay. If this is approved, the rates will be around:
- 133 Soles Adult
- 67 Soles Student
- Tips (Please remember that tipping is 100% optional and depends entirely on the service you received. It is customary to give tips in Latin America, however it is NOT mandatory. If you do wish to give a tip, these are our recommended guidelines.
- Guide: 40-60 soles per trekker
- Assistant Guide: 30-40 soles per trekker
- Horsemen: 60-80 soles for each horseman from the whole group
- Cook: 150-200 soles for the cook from the whole group
- Prices for optional activities are subject to change at any time without prior notice. Please confirm these prices before departing on the trek.
Day 1: Cuzco to Mollepata to Challacancha, Trek to Soraypampa Camp (3,920m) (L/D)
Stop At: Humantay Lake, Cusco 08002 Peru
Today we pick you up at 05:30am and travel by tourist-class bus to Mollepata (2,900m) where you can stretch your legs and buy snacks. Continue by car to Challacancha where we will make final preparations and double check our equipment. Embark on a 3-hour walk that will take us to Soraypampa (3,920m) where we will have lunch with panoramic views of beautiful snow-capped mountains. Hike up to Laguna de Humantay (approx. 1.5 hours each way) for more incredible views of the Andes mountains and then return to camp for the night. Our first campsite is located at 3,920 m and is the highest and coldest campsite of the trip. Take some time to rest up and enjoy your first night immersed in nature. Have dinner and go to sleep early.
Inclusions: Accommodation pick-up, Transfer Cuzco - Challacancha, 1N Camping, Meals 1L/1D (14km, 6hrs)
Duration: 20 hours
Accommodation included: Overnight in Soraypampa (3,920 m) - Camping
Day 2: Trek to Challhuay or Colcapampa Camp via High Pass (4,650m) (B/L/D)
Stop At: Salkantay Trail, Peru
We will have breakfast at around 6:00 am and begin our 4-hour walk to the highest pass on this trek (4,650m) located halfway between 2 huge mountains; Salkantay on the right and Humantay on the left. (Optional horse rental available to reach high pass for 100 - 120 soles). From the pass, the views of the 2 snow-capped mountains are incredible with a possibility of snow here. After a 2-hour downhill hike, a well-deserved lunch will be served at Huayracpampa, followed by another 3-hour trek to our campsite at Challhuay or Colcapampa as we near the beginning of the high jungle region at 2,900 meters.
Inclusions: 1N Camping, Meals 1B/1L/1D (22km, 910hrs)
Duration: 1 day
Accommodation included: Overnight in Challhuay or Colcapampa (2,900 m) - Camping
Day 3: Trek to La Playa, Transfer to Hydroelectric Station, Trek to Aguas Calientes (B/L/D)
Stop At: Aguas Calientes, Aguas Calientes, Machu Picchu, Sacred Valley, Cusco Region
After breakfast at 6:30 am, we start trekking for the day through the upper jungle crossing the Santa Teresa River and a variety of little brooks. Today we will pass through valleys and have wonderful views of waterfalls, tropical fruits and plants. We will have lunch at La Playa (2,200m) and continue by car to Santa Teresa town (1,700 meters) with a warmer climate. From here we will take another car to Hydroelectric Station (40 minutes) and then walk 3 hours to Aguas Calientes. There are internet cafes, cafes with board games and cards, plenty of shops and places to relax. Optional train transfer from Hydroelectric Station to Aguas Calientes is available for an extra cost.
Inclusions: Car La Playa - Santa Teresa Town - Hydroelectric Station, 1N 3* Hotel Aguas Calientes, Meals 1B/1L/1D. (24km, 9hrs)
Duration: 1 day
Accommodation included: Overnight in Aguas Calientes - 3* Hotel
Day 4: Explore Machu Picchu & Return to Cuzco (B)
Stop At: Machu Picchu, Machu Picchu, Sacred Valley, Cusco Region
Catch one of the first buses (05:30 am) to Machu Picchu in order to appreciate the magnificent city in the early morning light as the mist dissipates. A walking tour (approximately 2 hours) is given by your guide and after this you can explore the mysterious city on your own. If you still have energy you can also climb Huayna Picchu (to be booked in advance at an extra cost - 400 people are allowed up per day. Please send us an email directly to request this extra ticket). Return to Aguas Calientes by bus (every 15 minutes from the entrance) or you can take the walking trail down (1 hour) to Aguas Calientes town. Take the train back to Ollantaytambo and a bus to Cuzco. You will be dropped off late in the day at the Plaza San Francisco. Upon arrival you will need to make your own way to your accommodation.
Inclusions: Round trip Bus Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu, Train Aguas Calientes - Ollantaytambo, Bus Ollantaytambo - Cuzco, 2-hour Machu Picchu Guided Visit, Meal 1B
Duration: 20 hours
No accommodation included on this day.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Please contact us at least two weeks before your departure date so we can arrange pickup from your central Cusco accommodation.
Departure Time :5:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Minimum age is 7 years
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Accommodation Options: Single travelers will share a tent/room with another traveler and couples will have a tent/room to themselves.
- Physical Requirements: This hike is demanding, it is important to be in good physical condition. There are important temperature changes associated with altitude changes (from 4000 meters to 2000 meters).
- Important: You must provide the following information upon booking: Full name (exactly as it appears on the passport), date of birth, nationality, passport number, date of passport expiration.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.