3-Day Uyuni Salt Flat Adventure to San Pedro de Atacama
Embark on an expedition in a 4x4 Toyota Land Cruiser to explore the Uyuni Salt Flat, area deserts, local villages, multi-colored lakes with flamingos, geysers, and more on this 3-day, one-way, guided adventure from Uyuni, Bolivia to San Pedro de Atacama in Chile. Guide, private transportation, accommodation, meals, and border crossing assistance included.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- 2x Breakfast
- 2x Dinner
- 2x Lunch
- Accommodation included: 2 nights
- 1 night in shared family lodging
- 1 night in a salt hotel
- Transportation in 4X4 Land Cruiser with rooftop luggage rack (up to 6 people per vehicle)
- Local driver and English speaking guide
- Transfer to San Pedro de Atacama, Chile
- Pickup from airport, bus stations or Uyuni hotels (must be advised in advance)
- Sleeping bag (must be requested in advance)
- Entry/Admission - Train Cemetery
What's excluded :
- Entrance Fees: Isla Incahuasi (30Bs*), Reserva Eduardo Avaroa Protected Area (150Bs*)
- Additional snacks & water bottles
- Toilets along the Way (20 Bs)
- Hot Shower (10 Bs)
- Gratuities for guide, driver and cook (Optional, however keep in mind that tipping is common in Latin America and would be greatly appreciated)
- Personal expenses
- Travel insurance
- 2-liter water bottle a day (can be purchased in hostels we stay at)
- Entry/Admission - Eduardo Avaroa National Reserve of Andean Fauna
- Entry/Admission - Salvador Dali Desert
Day 1: Uyuni - Train Graveyard - Colchani - Uyuni Salt Flats (Incahuasi Island) - Pia Pia Island - Candelaria(L/D)
Stop At: Train Cemetery, Uyuni Bolivia
Be picked-up or meet us at our meeting point . At 10:30 am we’ll start our tour with a visit to Uyuni`s `train graveyard` to see the first locomotives in Bolivia. Then we will visit the small village of Colchani to visit a salt factory where they process the salt mined from Uyuni, have lunch, and enjoy some free time to explore the local museum or shop for souvenirs. Next, we will continue to the great salt flats of Uyuni. Take photos as you cruise along the vast white expanse of salt, and visit a hotel made completely of salt. Next, we will visit Incahuasi (Fish Island) where you will have time to take a hike to the top of the island to see giant cactus and rock formations made of petrified coral. Then, you’ll head to Pia Pia island, to see the beautiful sunset over the salt flats. Finish off at the village of Candelaria, and enjoy the unique experience of spending the night in a hostel made almost entirely of salt.
Note: During the rainy season, between January and April, the Fish Island tour will be replaced with a possible stargazing / During the monsoon season, between January and April, the Salt Hotel will be unavailable so you will be staying in a hotel in Culpina or a similar location.If you’d prefer a private room for both nights, there is an additional cost of 250 BS (approx 36 USD) per person. This is subject to availability so please inquire in advance.
Duration: 14 hours
Accommodation included: Salt hostel double rooms.
Jan - April (rainy season) Hotel in Culpina or other location
Day 2: Chiguana Desert - Lagoons - Eduardo Avaroa National Reserve - Red Lagoon (B/L/D)
Stop At: Eduardo Avaroa National Reserve of Andean Fauna, Bolivia
Start off at 7:00 am for breakfast at the hotel and then head toward the Chiguana Desert, located on the south side of the Uyuni salt flats. It is surrounded by volcanoes. Our next stop is at the Volcan Ollague viewpoint, where we will have lunch before heading to the beautiful Andean lagoons inhabited by 3 species of Andean flamingos. Visit the Desert of Siloli at 4550m (the highest and driest in the world) and take a photo next to the `Rock tree`, a lava rock formation. Before arriving to our final destination today, we will stop at the overlook point by the Red Lagoon to see more pink flamingos and admire this intense red-colored lake before spending the night in nearby Polques. a family lodging.
The shared family lodging has electricity at certain times (only for 3 hours, 18:00 hrs to 21:00 hrs).
Duration: 1 day
Accommodation included: Overnight in shared family lodging
Day 3: Sol de Mañana Geyser - Dali Desert - Green Lagoon - San Pedro de Atacama (B)
Stop At: Salvador Dali Desert, Eduardo Avaroa Andean Fauna National Reserve Bolivia
Get off to an early start around 5:00 am to visit the Sol de Mañana Geyser, at 5,000m and walk next to fumaroles and steaming craters filled with boiling pots of mud at 150-200 Cº. Continue to the open-air hot springs and take a bath in 35 Cº water before enjoying breakfast. Continue with a visit to the Dali Pampas, where Salvador Dali found his inspiration from boulders sprinkled in the middle of the desert, and then to the Green Lagoon (toxic copper water at the foot of the big Licancabur volcano at 6000m, a few kilometers from the Bolivia-Chile border). Cross the border into Chile and change vehicles. Your local driver will meet you and take you all the way to San Pedro de Atacama, passing beautiful scenery along the way. Arrive in San Pedro de Atacama around noon.
During spring and summer, the departure time will be earlier.
Duration: 12 hours
No accommodation included on this day.
Departure Point :Avenida Bolívar, Av Bolívar, Uyuni, Bolivia
Traveler pickup is offered
Pick-up from Uyuni airport (only the day the tour starts), Uyuni bus stations or Uyuni hostels (or travellers can meet us at the meeting point). This must be booked in advance. Transfers from airport to accommodation have an extra cost 5 USD).Airports
- Uyuni Joya Andina Airport, Uyuni Bolivia
Departure Time :10:30 AM
Return Detail :San Pedro de Atacama, Antofagasta, Chile
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- This itinerary is subject to change without prior notice according to weather conditions, strikes, roadblocks, or other forces beyond our control
- During the rainy season, the salt flat fills with water so it is not possible to cross the salt flat in the same way as during dry season causing the itinerary to be modified during that period. The salt hostel is unavailable. Instead, you willl be staying in a hotel in Culpina or other location
- This trip takes place at a very high altitude. For example, the salt flats is around 16,000 feet (5,000 meters) above sea level. Most guests feel some effects of altitude (headache, lethargy, trouble sleeping) and we recommend acclimating yourself by staying above 10,000 feet (3,000 meters) for a few days before embarking on this trip. Bring medication for headaches and tablets for altitude sickness in case you feel unwell. Always drink LOTS of water to assist in acclimatization.
- The reality of visiting a remote area and immersing yourself in nature is that you will be far from modern facilities and the services may sometimes be slow and basic. Due to the harsh terrain, vehicle breakdowns are not uncommon, however, the drivers are skilled at fixing mechanical problems and delays are rarely excessive
- 1 Night accommodation in Salt Hotel, basic dorm-style rooms w/ shared bathroom (hot shower included in the first night) 1 Night shared family lodging (dorm of 6 beds with shared bathroom without light) If you’d prefer a private room for both nights, there is an additional cost of 250 BS (approx 36 USD) per person. This is subject to availability so please inquire in advance.
- Electricity and running water in the National Park are not as dependable as they are at home
- Public toilet facilities will be available only on the first day and may have a small local cost
- Bring snacks, toilet paper, and plenty of drinking water (minimum 2 gallons or 5 liters per person)
- Temperatures can drop well below zero in the winter months and the wind chill can be harsh at all times so bring warm clothes and many layers. Also bring a sun hat, polarized sunglasses, high SPF sunblock, trekking shoes, swimsuit, towel, personal medication, a flashlight, a camera, extra batteries and memory card, chargers (electricity is available in most hotels), hand sanitizer, and personal first aid kit.
- Important: During the winter season (from May to August), it is not possible to access Eduardo Avaroa National Park (red lagoon, Dali dessert, green lagoon). However, there is the possibility of visiting black lagoon and rock valley, changes to the itinerary may be made without prior notice depending on the weather conditions. You may also sleep in different locations depending on vehicle access.
- This tour is perfectly tailored for all arrivals in Uyuni, is by bus or by plane. The operator´s office is only 20 minutes away by taxi from the bus terminal and the airport
- Please let us know if you have any dietary restrictions,
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.