3-Day Jianshui Culture and Cave Tour
This tour revolves around Jianshui, a charming historical and cultural city south of Kunming. First, we go visit the Zhu Family Garden, a beautiful residential building and impressive maze of towers, courtyards and green gardens from the Qing dynasty. Then we see the second biggest Confucius temple in China and Tuanshan Village, a picturesque well-preserved historical village. We will also learn how to make traditional purple pottery and Shipin tofu. You can also admire the Double Dragon Bridge, a 17-arch bridge with two towers and see thousands of swallows in the famous Swallow Cave. On the way back, we will also visit the only Mongolian village of Yunnan.
• Zhu Family Garden
• Confucius Temple
• Tuanshan Village
• Purple pottery workshop
• Narrow-gauge train
• Tofu workshop
• Swallow Cave
• Xing Meng Mongolian village
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- 2 nights in a comfort hotel (twin rooms) with breakfast (B)
- 2 bottles of local drinking water per person per day
- Good traditional Chinese lunch (vegetarians, please inform us in advance)
- Transportation with skilled driver during the whole tour at designated times
- Experienced private English-speaking tour guides
- Supplement for driver and tour guide (accommodation and meals)
- 24/7 English-speaking customer services
- Government taxes
- Bottled water
What's excluded :
- Chinese visa
- Personal expenses;
- Domestic and international flight
- Tourist bus / minibus transportation between airport / train station
- Single room supplement if clients request a private room
- Personal Travel Accident Insurance.
- Tips for drivers and guides, highly appreciated but not requested
- Things not mentioned in this itinerary
- Day 1: Jianshui (L)
At 9:00 we will pick you up from your hotel and drive about 3.5 hours to Jianshui, what used to be the historical center of the province and is over 1200 years old. Many Ming dynasty (1368-1644) houses are still intact, and her cobbled streets and grand Residential Houses will charm any visitor.
After lunch, we will the Zhu Family Garden, built in the late Qing dynasty (1644-1911) by the influential Zhu brothers. This private residence is downright impressive in its historical importance and gigantic size: it covers 20.000m2 and has 218 pavilions and towers with painted crossbeams and painted ceilings, as well as 42 small courtyards. The Zhu brothers earned their wealth by trading in everything possible from tin to opium until they eventually fell victim to the political chaos in 1911. Then you will visit the second largest Confucius Temple in China.
Day 2: Tuanshan (B, L)
After breakfast, we will drive to the 19th century Yunnan-Vietnam railway to take the train to go to Tuanshan Village, a typical Qing dynasty village owned by the wealthy Zhang Family for over 600 years. Along the road we will stop at the Double Dragon Bridge and at the Xianghui Bridge. The final destination is Tuanshang Village. Grand houses with courtyards were built by villagers who earned money from trade made possible by the Yunnan-Vietnam railroad.
In the afternoon, take the train back to Jianshui and visit the Purple Pottery street to learn how to make Purple Pottery. For centuries, Jianshui was the center of pottery industry in Yunnan and has a pottery history for over 3500 years. This kind of purple pottery is one of the four famous pottery styles in China and originated in the Song dynasty more than 900 years ago.
Day 3: Swallow Cave & Xing Meng (B, L)
After breakfast we will go to see a Tofu Workshop where locals make the famous Shipin Tofu, one of the most popular snacks among locals. See how they still produce this local product the traditional way, from sweet water from an old well, you can even try to make some yourself. Afterwards we will go to the Swallow Cave, one of the biggest water caves in Asia, with a plank road of 3 km long leading into the cave past the quiet stream and impressive stalactites and stalagmites. Millions of swallows migrate to these sharp cave cliffs from Malaysia every spring to nest and give birth and can be seen flying around the huge entrance to the cave.
After lunch we will drive back to Kunming with a stop on the way to visit Xingmeng Mongolian village which is the only place with the Mongolian ethnic group in Yunnan. They descent from the Mongolian conquerors that came with to Yunnan about 700 years ago.
Departure Point :Visitor's hotel within second ring road of Kunming
Departure Time :Gathering Time: from 8:30 am to 9:00 am
Start Time: 9:00 am
Return Detail :Tour ends at Kunming
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Passport name, number, expiry and country is required at time of booking for all participants
- A maximum of 8 people per booking
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.