3 Day 'Big 5' Safari and Soweto Short Break
Explore Gauteng’s hidden gem, Dinokeng Game Reserve. Enjoy ‘Big 5’ game viewing activities and indulge in a gourmet feast. Connect with the locals in Soweto whilst on a bicycle adventure and experience Fair Trade Tourism at its best.
• Get involved with a local school EcoBrick project
• ‘Big 5’ open safari vehicle game viewing
• Connecting with local Soweto community
• Soweto bicycle tour (Fair Trade Tourism certified)
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- 2x Breakfast
- 1x Dinner
- 2x Lunch
- Accommodation included: 2 nights
- Entrance Fees: Dinokeng Game Reserve conservation fee
- Excursions:Community school visit, Soweto bicycle tour.
- 2 ‘Big 5’ game viewing activities.
What's excluded :
- Travel insurance, flights, airport transfers, porterage, visa fees, 1 dinner and personal expenses
Day 1: JOHANNESBURG to DINOKENG GAME RESERVE via HAMMANSKRAAL (±110km)
Stop At: Dinokeng Game Reserve, Hammanskraal 0400 South Africa
Guests are collected late morning for guided transfer to experience Gauteng’s hidden gem, Dinokeng Game Reserve, near Hammanskraal.
Have the opportunity to partake in a community school project in Hammanskraal. A very dry area which means there is no grass for the children to sit on at break, and the ground is too hard and dry to grow vegetable in. EcoBricks (a plastic bottle packed tightly with non-biodegradable waste) are used to build boundary walls, benches or areas to contain topsoil for the vegetable gardens.
Guests arrive at the lodge following the school visit, for early check-in and lunch overlooking the dam. They can get acquainted with the lodge and the surrounding plains of the Dinokeng Game Reserve, before partaking in high tea. Dinokeng is the only free-roaming ‘Big 5’ game reserve in Gauteng.
Embark on an afternoon game drive in an open safari vehicle, traversing over 8 500 hectares of pristine bushveld, or enjoy a sunset boat cruise (subject to water levels). The reserve also boasts cheetah, brown hyena, and a large variety of antelope, giraffe and bird species.
Duration: 6 hours
• Dinner: Indulge in a gourmet dinner.
Accommodation included: Overnight at Mongena Private Game Lodge
Day 2: DINOKENG GAME RESERVE to JOHANNESBURG (±100km)
Stop At: Johannesburg, Johannesburg, Greater Johannesburg, Gauteng
Guests enjoy a morning game drive in an open safari vehicle, with breakfast on return to the lodge.
Guests depart the lodge after breakfast, for a short Johannesburg orientation tour viewing Nelson Mandela Bridge, Newtown, mining district sites and the vibrant Maboneng precinct.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Soweto, Soweto, Johannesburg, Greater Johannesburg, Gauteng
Stop for lunch in Soweto, before enjoying a 2 hour tour of the township from the saddle of a bicycle that will take guests to some of the most interesting historical sites around Soweto.
Lebo’s Soweto Backpackers and Bicycle Tours have maintained their Fair Trade Tourism certification for the past 10 years. Since their inception, their business has valued the involvement of the local community as part of their growth strategy.
Enjoy dinner at a Fair Trade Tourism certified hotel (own account).
Duration: 4 hours
Accommodation included: Overnight at Protea Hotel by Marriott Balalaika Sandton
Day 3: DAY OF DEPARTURE - JOHANNESBURG
Pass By: Johannesburg, Johannesburg, Greater Johannesburg, Gauteng
Tours concludes after Breakfast.
No accommodation included on this day.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Collection from select Sandton and Rosebank CBD Hotels can be arranged. Pick up from Sandton Hotels 08h30 and Rosebank Hotels 09h10. Collection times vary, are subject to the hotel collection route and will be reconfirmed via the hotel the day prior to departure.
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Children under the age of 3 years are not allowed on the open safari vehicle
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Guests to bring along own face masks. A vehicle of appropriate size will be assigned to tour groups in accordance with the COVID-19 regulations.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.