2002 Crater Excursion - Northern Etna
The 2002 crater tour is one of the most popular destinations chosen by tourists on the northern slopes of Etna, far from the chaos of the southern slope, allowing you to savor the authenticity of the Etna volcanic environment in total tranquility, immersed in uncontaminated nature. Our guests accompanied by our Guides will be immersed in a whole new world, passing by the remains of the tourist infrastructures, the castings, the green of the woods and finally the craters surrounded by lunar landscapes, all in a path of just over 4, 5 km round trip.
Possibility to rent boots / jacket on the spot.
Meeting at the Etna Nord Volcanological Guides office in Piano Provenzana at 10:30 am.
Departure from Piano Provenzana at 1800 meters at 11:00.
Beginning of the trek.
Visit to eruptive fractures up to a maximum altitude of 2100 meters.
Descent on trekking to the starting point.
Total duration: 3h
Difficulty: T (Tourist).
per adult from
2 to 3 hours
What's included :
- Trekking sticks
- Accident insurance
- Entry/Admission - Piano Provenzana
What's excluded :
- Bottled water
- Trekking shoes
- Hat and gloves (depending on the season)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Via Provenzana 37 Localita Piano Provenzana, 95015 Linguaglossa, Sicily Italy
Beginning of the trek along the dirt road that from Piano Provenzana leads to the summit craters of the volcano, after the first kilometer you cross the eruptive fracture of the eruption of 27 October 2002 on the path of "Monte Nero - Timpa Rossa", the path allows you to visit and study the multiple volcanic morphologies relating to the eruptions that followed one another on the north side of Etna, in particular the flank eruptions of 10 September 1911 and 17 June 1923 which threatened the town of Linguaglossa. After visiting the particular volcanic morpho-structures called Hornitos from the Spanish "Piccolo forno", we will go up along the pyroclastic cones of the 2002 eruption until reaching the maximum altitude of 2100 meters on the crater rim, the path ends with the descent into a sandy channel to the starting point.
The route has a total length of 4.5 km.
Minimum starting altitude: 1800 m - maximum altitude reached: 2100 m.
Total height difference, uphill: 300 m (variable value) - Height difference, downhill: 300 m.
Total Km: 4.5
Layered clothing (short-sleeved shirt - long-sleeved thermal shirt - fleece or sweatshirt) - (varies according to season)
Windbreaker or down jacket (variable according to the season)
Water - minimum 1.5 L
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Via Provenzana, 35 Ufficio Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord, 95015 Linguaglossa CT, Italy
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Trekking is not recommended for those who usually do little motor activity.
- Without adequate shoes you are not covered by accident insurance.
- Most travelers can participate
- Trekking does not require large preparations on a physical level, it is easy and absent of particularly difficult passages, however attention must be paid when treating volcanic soil, which is often incoherent and unstable.
- The total duration of the trek will depend on the gait.
- The route foresees the ascent and the passage along the crater edges, this could cause problems of vertigo to the sensitive subjects.
- This itinerary, in relation to the type, is suitable for people in a state of good physical health, who do not suffer from particular pathologies (cardio vascular, respiratory or hypertension).
- The excursion may be changed at the discretion of the Guides or be interrupted should the environmental, atmospheric or volcanic conditions change, such as to compromise the safety of the entire group.
- To ensure the success of the excursion and the correct performance of the activity, it is good practice to know your health conditions perfectly and to have them present at the Guide, to reduce the occurrence of any problems and avoid risks.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 40 travelers
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.