1-Day Shangri-La Monastery and Thangka Tour
Enter deep into the Tibetan world of Shangri-la, with its lofty and all year-round snow-capped mountains, endless grasslands, hidden valleys, steep and grand gorges, azure lakes and idyllic villages. Learn about Tibetan Buddhism at Songzanlin Monastery, the biggest Tibetan monastery in Yunnan. Visit Baiji temple, a hidden temple with deep history. Experience the real Tibetan lifestyle in a traditional house as you meet a local family and learn how to make Thangka, a traditional century-old Tibetan art form that reflects Tibetan culture and is painted with precious mineral pigments, that’s why after hundreds of years the Thangka colors are still bright.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- 2 bottles of local drinking water per person per day
- Private transportation with skilled driver, including hotel pick-ups and drop offs (selected hotels only)
- Experienced private English-speaking tour guides
- Supplement for the tour guide (meals)
- 24/7 English-speaking customer services
- Government taxes
What's excluded :
- Lunch and Dinner
- Chinese visa
- Personal expenses
- Domestic and international flights
- Tourist bus / minibus transportation between airport / train station
- Personal Travel Accident Insurance.
- Tips for drivers and guides, highly appreciated but not requested
- Things not mentioned in this itinerary
- After breakfast, your driver and tour guide will pick you up from your hotel in Dukezong Ancient town and take you to Songzanlin Monastery, also called ‘Little Potala Palace’ as this 17th century monastery is modeled after the Potala Palace in Lhasa. It is the largest Tibetan monastery in Yunnan with over 700 monks actively practicing Tibetan Buddhism. Afterwards we will visit a local Tibetan family to experience the real Tibetan life and hospitality.
After lunch, you will take a look at Baiji Temple, which literally means “hundred chickens temple” in Chinese and is very close to Dukezong Ancient Town. From this temple you can enjoy a wonderful birds-eye view of the city and see many, many chickens. The chickens are really incredible indeed and if you want to know their story and why they crossed the road to live in a monastery, you will have to go there to find the answer.
Then we will go back to Dukezong Ancient Town to learn how to make Thangka. The process of making Thangka is complex and full of rituals, and it must be done in accordance with the requirements of the scriptures and the rituals of a Guru. There are different steps like ceremony, canvas making, composition, dyeing, and design.
Departure Point :Visitor's hotel.
Departure Time :
Gathering Time: from 8:30 am to 9:00 am
Start Time: 9:00 am
Return Detail :Tour ends at Shangri-La Dukezong Ancient Town
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Passport name, number, expiry and country is required at time of booking for all participants
- A maximum of 8 people per booking
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.