1 Day Panda Volunteer Program Plus Dujiangyan Highlight Private Tour Including Lunch
This private day trip is catered to panda fans who wish to contribute to the effort of rescuing giant pandas, the most beloved but endangered species in China. Not only you will become a “Honorary Panda Keeper” and “Panda Nutritionist,” but also have the rare opportunities to stay in close proximity to the adorable pandas observing and recording their adorable behaviors. Currently, Dujiangyan Panda Base is the nearest place from Chengdu where you can participate in a panda volunteer program comprised of collecting bamboo, cleaning panda enclosure, making panda cakes, and feeding panda...etc. You will take a half-day volunteer program, and then after lunch, move to take a sightseeing trip to the famous UESCO World Heritage Site, Dujiangyan Irrigation System. The project has played a crucial role of irrigation and flood control for more than 2,200 years that is the vital reason why Chengdu became the “Land of Abundance.”
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel Pickup and drop-off ( from downtown Chengdu only)
- Private, comfortable and non-smoking vehicle with an experienced driver
- Volunteer Program;
- Friendly and licensed English-speaking tour guide
- Lunch at Panda Base Cafe
- Sightseeing vehicle at Dujiangyan Irrigation System
- A bottle of water
- Entry/Admission - Dujiangyan Irrigation System
- Entry/Admission - Panda Valley
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off outside of downtown Chengdu City
- Airport or trains station pickup and drop-off
- Personal expense
- Optional panda hold and photo taking: cash amount of RMB$1800 per person to be donated on site to the CCRCGP (China Conservation and Research Center for the Giant Panda)
- Gratuities for guide and driver (recommended)
- To catch all module of the Panda Volunteer Program, you will be picked up by your tour guide and driver in the early morning and drive to Dujiangyan Panda Base around 7am to arrive at the base around 8:15am. Upon arrival, first, you will be briefed on the itinerary of the volunteering program and sign the agreement paper. Then, put on volunteering suit and gloves, and then transfer to your work space by a park vehicle. Start your half-day volunteering under the guidance of a English-speaking panda keeper in the park according to below schedule and process:
• Being an honorary panda keeper (9:00am ~10am): sweep panda enclosure, cleaning up panda feces, collecting bamboos, and splitting bamboos...etc.
• Wonderful panda visit (10am ~ 11am): stroll leisurely from one panda enclosure to another to visit adorable pandas and watch them eating bamboos, climbing trees, and rolling on grasses. Also, take a visit to the neighbor of giant panda, the lovely red pandas.
• Feeding panda (11am ~ 11:30am): feed pandas with supervision of staff on specially-made panda cakes and other favorite foods such as apples, bamboo shoots, apples, and carrot...etc.
• Lunch break (11:30am ~ 1pm): enjoy lunch with other volunteers at the canteen of panda base.
• Awarding certificate of honor: after completion of the program, the panda base will award you the Certificate of Honorable Panda Volunteer. Congratulations!
After lunch, drive about 9 miles (15 km) from the panda base to visit Dujiangyan Irrigation System. Before the irrigation system was established, Minjiang River rushed down from the high Minshan Mountain galloping on the Chengdu Plain without mercy in rain and flood season causing frequent floods. Li Bing, the governor of Shu State as well as a hydraulic engineer of Qin (771 BC ~ 221 BC) and his son constructed Dujiangyan Irrigation System in 256 BC to harness the river by channeling and dividing the water instead of simply following the old way of dam building. Since then, the floods were controlled, and Sichuan became one of the most productive agricultural areas of China. Today, Dujiangyan Irrigation System is still in use and irrigates over 530 hectare (5,300 square kilometers) of land in Sichuan. It is also a popular attraction where tourist can witness brilliant ancient irrigation engineering and explore fabulous historical sites as well as enjoy stunning natural scenery. After visit Dujiangyan Irrigation System, you will be transferred back to your hotel in Chengdu city where the service ends.
Departure Point :Your centrally located Chengdu City hotel
Departure Time :7:00 AM
Return Detail :Your centrally located Chengdu City hotel
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Reservation has to be made with the panda base 1 month in advance due to limited spots of volunteering each day.
- A current Certificate of Healthy showing travelers do not have any communicable diseases or disorders that may endanger the giant panda is required. Travelers are suggested to obtain the certificate in your own country because it takes a long time time and lots of money to have a physical examination in China.
- Since availability for Panda Volunteer Program are not fixed and subject to change due to seasonality, epidemic control, and other policies, please obtain the Certificate of Health and place bookings preferrably 1 month prior to tour departure date to allow your local tour operator sufficient time for availability check with the panda base.
- Dujiangyan Panda Base is currently the only place where travelers could hold and take photos with a panda at an extra cost. If you wish to have the experience that, please contact your local tour operator for reservation.
- Your local tour operator will confirm exact pickup time with you 24 hours prior to tour departure.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.