1-Day Dali Baba Cooking and Cruise Tour
Our tour starts in Dali and brings you to Xizhou and Zhoucheng. First, we will visit Xizhou, a famous historical and cultural Bai minority town with well-preserved architecture, there you can make your own Xizhou Baba, a famous local snack. Then we go to Zhoucheng, the hometown of Chinese tie-dyeing. This Dali traditional dyeing process is unique in China and even in the world. During our tour, you can experience minority’s folk customs and daily local life. Afterwards we will go on a cruise on Erhai lake and visit a local fishing village.
• Xizhou: morning market, see Bai-style traditional architecture along the old tea-horse road
• Xizhou Baba: learn to make this local delicacy
• Tie Dye: traditional Bai ethnic tie-dye workshop in Zhoucheng
• Erhai Lake: cruise on Erhai Lake to a local fishing village
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- 2 bottles of local drinking water per person per day
- Transportation with skilled driver at the designated period of time
- Experienced private English-speaking tour guides
- Supplement for driver and tour guide (meals)
- 24/7 English-speaking customer services
- Government taxes
What's excluded :
- Lunch and Dinner
- Chinese visa
- Personal expenses;
- Domestic and international flights
- Tourist bus / minibus transportation between airport / train station
- Personal Travel Accident Insurance.
- Tips for drivers and guides, highly appreciated but not requested
- Things not mentioned in this itinerary
- In the morning, you will be picked up from your hotel in Dali Ancient Town and taken to the meeting point. Then we will drive to Xizhou, and visit the morning market where locals dressed in traditional minority clothing sell and buy local fruits, freshly cut meat, piles of fragrant spices and anything else you can think of. Wander through the rest of town and visit exquisitely well preserved old Bai-style traditional courtyards and feel in a different world as you explore the Bai minority’s distinctive culture. Xizhou is a small town with a long history, dating back thousands years, when it was an ancient economic hub along the tea-horse road.
Xizhou Baba is a local delicacy which you can normally just buy on the local market. But on this trip, we will take you into a local folk house to make your own Baba. Xizhou baba is a baked pancake with a crispy crust and filled with one of two flavors: sweet or savory. The sweet one is made of sweet rose sugar and brown sugar in it, the savory one is filled with delicious salty meat.
Our next destination is Zhoucheng Village, which is called the “Hometown of Ethnic Bai Tie-Dye Culture” and take a look around a traditional Tie-Dye workshop. Don’t be fooled by the tie-dye we know in the west; the Bai people knot together true pieces of art that you would never have guessed to be tie-dyed. All tie-dye products are handmade with natural materials and dyes. Bai tie-dyeing is a century-old technique in China and can be separated in two steps, Tying and Dyeing. Bai ladies need a lot of skill and patience to shape the patterns and the results are different for each tie-dye product. Here you can see how grandmothers hand over this century old tradition to mothers and daughters and follow their process with your own eyes.
Around noon, we will take a relaxing cruise on Erhai Lake towards Jinsuo Island – a small cormorant-bird fishing village. From there you can enjoy the majestic view of the green and clouded Cangshan Mountain Range looming over the Three Pagodas, as swarms of birds fly peacefully around you over the tranquil lake. After that, the guide will take you back to Dali Ancient Town. Spend your time in the old town having a drink in one of Dali’s many cozy little bars or warmly decorated coffeeshops or strolling around its lively main streets where local young artists sell all kinds of beautiful handicrafts. Your journey will end here and we wish you a great trip to wherever you are off to next!
Departure Point :You will be picked up from your hotel in Dali Ancient Town
Departure Time :
Gathering Time: from 8:30 am to 9:00 am
Start Time: 9:00 am
Return Detail :Tour ends at Dali Ancient Town
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Passport name, number, expiry and country is required at time of booking for all participants
- A maximum of 8 people per booking
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.