1 day Cycling Tour from Bucharest - Biking The Roads Of History
Discover the Northern borders of the old kingdom of Romania and the even older Wallachia that lay on the ridges of the Tataru and Siriu mountains.
On this "bike into history tour" you will enjoy:
• The magnificent North drops of Ciucas Mountain
• Diversity of the terrain: dirt roads, narrow paths, grass paths, difficult climbs, easy nice climbs, wonderful descents
• The old remaining Medieval Custom tower on the Mountain.
• The beautiful isolated and sorrowful cemetery from Tabla Butii, commemorating the soldiers who fought and died on the mountain in the First World War.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Fuel surcharge
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Use of helmet
- Private tour
- Transport by private vehicle
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- We start early from Bucharest so as to avoid the morning traffic jam and to be as much as possible in the outdoors and not in the city. The driving takes us close to the city of Ploiesti and we will get to see the oil refineries which or bombed by the Allies during the World War Two because these were sustaining the Nazi war machinery. Passing through the small city of Valenii de Munte, we reach Maneciu, our destination.
Getting the bike prepared, as well as ourselves, we start with an easy descent through the houses of the village and then we cross a big dam which blocks the river Teleajan. After the dam we really start the mountain biking.
Very quickly, after some warming effort we will be on the ridge line following the historical border crossing road. We can see already the beautiful villages well below us as well, more distant, the Ciucas Mountain, itself a very good destination for spending a beautiful outdoor day.
Slow but sure we enter deeper into Tataru Mountain. Chances are high that we will meet lots of sheep and dogs on our way. Good for pictures! Before the hardest climb of the day, we stop for a little rest near a spring.
We continue the hard way, but as you already know, no downhill ride is worth too much unless it comes after a climb. The grassy path starts here and the grip of our bike tires is simply excellent. The historical landmarks come into view. First, the ruins of the old customs tower then unexpectedly the Tabla Butii Cemetery. In this wonderful landscape is almost unimaginable such a reminder of pointless death. But to our surprise, the cemetery fits the landscape. It is beautiful and melancholic at the same time while the north steep side of Ciucas Mountain is watching.
The historical border road continues in a Northern direction in a slow descent towards Transylvania (by the way, this name means the land of forests). We turn back at this point in a technical steep descent which takes us fast on a gravel mountain road.
Some bends on the road and we are suddenly in the middle of a very touristic area we could not have imagined for this hidden place. Some cabins and guesthouses litter the wood beside a fast flowing river.
The tour is not yet over. We still have one more climb to do. A heavily wooded hill waits in front of us, but we manage it without getting down off the bike. We reach the asphalt road and the car(s).
On our way home we will stop for a fully deserved dinner.
We estimate to arrive in Bucharest by 22.00, depending on the traffic.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :6:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 18 years
- Included also: Bike maintenance kit (spare camera in case of flats, repairing kit, etc.), Transport for bikes
- Not include: bike. If do not have it, we can rent it for you at an additional 15 Euro/day cost.
- This is not a tour for beginners. It requires technical skills and a lot of effort.
- Some sections of the route may not be for everyone to bike. But the push-bike techniques are always there to get us out of the trouble.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.